SAIC has a funded need for a Chief Space Systems Engineer to provide Systems Engineering and Technical Advisory (SETA) services to support a rapidly expanding Government Intelligence Community (IC) customer for a complex space and ground effort within the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) in Chantilly, VA.
This customer is responsible for designing, building, and operating national security-related systems based in space, in the air, and on the ground.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience within NRO acquisition and is ready to lead the system engineering branch SETA team through the Critical Design Review and Verification and Validations gates to sell off the system to the end user. This position is ‘downward facing’ in its responsibility for level space and ground requirements as flowed down and collaborates with the ‘upward facing ‘Enterprise requirements counterpart.
- Supports a System Program Office (SPO) in a technical capacity for planning, execution, monitoring, and oversight of satellite system development and acquisitions that advance the National Reconnaissance Office’s (NRO) space resiliency posture.
- Leading a team of on-site SETAs working a major system acquisition (MSA)
- Providing oversight of acquisitions, with specific focus on the system engineering processes to ensure end-to-end system closure and satisfaction of mission need.
- Maintain system baselines.
- Manage system Configuration Management process including Engineering Change Proposal, Engineering Review Board/Configuration Control Boards (ECP, ERB/CCB).
- Ensure requirements that evolve through the change management process remain true to the overall government need.
- Conduct full lifecycle engineering reviews including System Requirements (SSRs) and Lead and/or Support Lifecycle readiness reviews to demonstrate the design meets all specifications and customer requirements.
- Lead SPO’s Systems Engineering Branch team to ensure proper requirement Verification and Validation methodology is codified and executed by the developer, including determining test strategy and coverage based on a technical risk assessment for each use case or functionality.
- Support risk management processes and methods for identifying, assessing, and adjudicating program risk; Conduct analysis to identify program risk areas and recommend/implement mitigation approaches.
- Represent the government client to development contractors and ensure proper messaging between the same.
- Support Contract Officer/Contract Officer Technical Representatives (CO/COTRs) and Developers by coordinating with other technical domain Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and program stakeholders to achieve a detailed understanding of the systems, designs, and interfaces necessary to satisfy mission requirements.
- Reviewing Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) deliverables to ensure content, technical accuracy, and sufficiency of design details to meet program requirements and objectives.
- Develop briefings and assessments to a variety of audiences, and must be able to convey information in a clear and articulate manner to Government leadership.
- Participating in technical interchange meetings between developers and COTR.
- Design and implement technical solutions for new business needs and challenges.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors and eighteen (18) years or more experience; OR Masters and sixteen (16) years or more experience; OR PhD and fifteen years or more experience.
- Active Top Secret/SCI clearance with a Polygraph.
- Experience using systems engineering processes, methods, tools, and program roles to develop, implement, and deploy solutions for Satellite Systems.
- Experience in large systems acquisition
- Experience in systems integration and systems engineering.
- Experience with systems integration throughout the lifecycle.
- Experience with space-ground systems architectures and lifecycle support.
- Proven knowledge in Requirements Management, Quality Control, and Configuration Management.
- Experience in space system design, specification, development, manufacturing, and testing.
- Effective communication, coordination, and customer engagement skills.
- Strong written and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and team environment.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.