SAIC is seeking an on-call, surge support field system test technician to join a team of testers, engineers, and logisticians in support of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This position is in Edgewood, MD. SAIC has been a leader in innovation and support of test and evaluation (T&E) within TSA and the Department of Homeland Security missions since the inception of the agency in 2002. SAIC is looking for a motivated, flexible, and self-starting field test technician to help progress and evolve TSA’s test and evaluation techniques while making an impact on the safety and security of travelers and officers alike.
- Perform and observe test events involving TSA inspection equipment; follow test procedures, collect data and organize gathered information in order to compile, write and submit test event reports
- Review information pertaining to systems and machines to be tested. Review user manuals, training materials, installation guides, test procedures, example reports and data sheets prior to the test event
- Attend Tester training events to review test procedures, reporting requirements, updated system instructions.
- During test events: Follow written test procedures, Interact with both government and private company representatives on site in a professional manner. Have the ability to interpret unclear instructions and make decisions in accordance with prescribed tester protocols. Maintain clear communication with Senior test engineers in cases of delays or test failures
- Have a basic understanding of how to operate electronic machinery: Confirm all components are present/accounted for; ability to identify unsafe user situations (Such as exposed sharp sheet metal edges that may cut), confirm system functions are performing in accordance with user guides, confirm serial numbers and registration numbers, observing and tracking convery belt speed, encoders, and baggage distribution systems
- Write succinct, yet informative technical reports on the outcomes of test events utilizing gathered data elements in a technical, 3rd person format
- Have a understanding and basic comprehension of computer system use: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, logging into computers, allowing system updates, logging into company website to upload images, reports, etc.
- Testers will primarily be testing equipment at TSA checkpoints and within operational centers of airports, and at system manufacturer factories. Testers will be expected to safely enter and navigate through congested area filed with machinery and inspection equipment, up and over catwalks, through narrow passages etc.
- Ability to handle and move containerized test equipment up to 100lbs through airports, construction zones, and industrial areas. Ability to move luggage to and from conveyors several times a day during a test event
- Typical tests can last from a few hours up to several days of testing. Testers shall have ability and willingness to stand and/or walk for several hours at a time, bend and lift items
- Candidates must be willing to accommodate test delays, or retests that can occur up to 24 hours after the planned test event, and potentially on weekends.
- Candidate must pass the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Transportation Security Administration (TSA) vetting process which requires US citizenship per Government requirements
- High School degree + 2 years of relevant experience or college degree with 0 years of relevant experience required
- Must be 18 years of age to be considered
- Must be a fast learner
- Ability and willingness to stand for long periods of time as well as bend down to ready serial numbers from bottoms of machines.
- Ability and willingness to lift heavy baggage (~80 pounds) to/from conveyor belt multiple times throughout the day
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Must be reliable and able to act independently
- Must maintain responsible, dependable behavior, as well as professional focus and awareness while working in potentially stressful environment that includes noise from alarms, machinery, and people/crowds and hard deadlines
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.