SAIC is seeking a mid- to senior-level engineer on the OMES II with the On-orbit Servicing Assembly and Manufacturing (OSAM-1) program with NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects (NExIS) division. This position is located at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test, and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will execute the system-level build, testing, modification, and operation of the several testbeds associated with OSAM-1.
Job duties include:
- Documents the Testbed Configuration. Ensures that the Testbed configurations will support tests as defined in test documentation and certifies the Testbed for use.
- Supports Testbed Electrical Engineers (EEs) work in writing Testbed safe-to-mates/sub-system Functionals/Electrical Interconnect Diagrams/Grounding efforts.
- Supports providing updates to the weekly status of on-site testbeds electrical efforts.
- Documents NASA processes through WOA writing.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or closely related field, with 5+ years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in engineering of aerospace systems.
- Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and/or electrical engineering, preferably in the aerospace industry.
- Experience in authoring and maintaining technical documentation.
- Proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule.
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain NASA ESD certification.
- Experience working with electrical testbed hardware and/or performing flight or GSE testing using testbed systems.
- Experience with NASA (GSFC preferred) mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
- Experience in system integration and test of electrical systems for space applications (e.g. spacecraft, flight instruments, launch vehicles).
- Skilled in troubleshooting and resolving technical problems with complex technical systems. Skilled at determining corrective action and/or workarounds to such problems.
- Skilled in working in large teams of multidisciplinary engineers and technicians with different viewpoints and responsibilities. Comfortable working in and encouraging a team-oriented environment. Willingness to work outside of one’s area of technical expertise.
- Experience in requirements development, validation, and verification.
- Experience in designing tests (of varying scales and fidelity) that help validate a design or verify a set of requirements.
- Experience with technical risk assessment
- Experience handling hardware of varying fidelity and cost (e.g. mockups / breadboards, engineering development units, flight hardware).
- Experience with robotic systems or complex mechanisms.
- Experience with standard computational software (e.g. Matlab, MathCAD).
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.