Job ID: 2207105
Location: LANHAM, MD, United States
Date Posted: May 10, 2022
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
Benefits: Click here
SAIC is seeking a Software Engineer with Java and PostgreSQL skills who will serve as a member of the NASA Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) Ground Project, Data Products and Management Services (DPMS) team leading the development and maintenance of the Government Resource for Algorithm Verification, Independent Testing, and Evaluation (GRAVITE) system.
JPSS is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) next-generation operational Earth observation program that acquires and distributes global environmental data primarily from multiple polar-orbiting satellites. The program plays a critical role to NOAA’s mission to understand and predict changes in weather, climate, oceans and coasts, and the space environment, which support the Nation’s economy and protect lives and property.
The activities for this work require a qualified software engineer with strong database and cloud expertise to support the software development and maintenance tasks. The candidate must have experience and skill in implementing work projects, closely coordinating technical efforts with other team members and with the customer to maintain alignment of required activities including developing solutions, collaborative development, progress and reporting.
The work activities may include:
- Designing, developing and testing of Java based applications in an integrated development environment.
- Determine future builds based on customer needs.
- Assess and update processes on the development team based on NASA standards.
- Development of web based GUIs.
- Developing and testing of very large and very dynamic databases that have many frequent updates – PostgreSQL
- Assisting the team with the management and performance of the large databases of observed and model-generated data for quality control, archival and efficient retrieval.
- Supporting the I&T team on integration and testing.
- Helping to optimize the application code for high performance on LINUX servers.
- Determining the priority of discrepancies.
- Building schedules.
- Assessing and updating software documentation.
- Helping to integrate the Java and PostgreSQL based applications in an integrated development environment.
- Migrating existing systems into AWS Cloud.
-B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent degree.
-8+ years of relevant experience.
-Experience with Web application frameworks and responsive Web based GUI development.
--Angular (v2+/ngx), Marionette, OpenGL, WebGL, Node.js, MySQL, postgreSQL, testing tools (e.g. Junit, Mockito, jasmine, mocha etc)
-Experience in the Design of software application based on user requirements and software design patterns
--Cloud Computing: AWS – Lambda, ECS, ECR, Kubernetes, EC2, IAM, ELB, S3, CloudWatch, Cost Management DevOps, Deployment, and Provisioning: Docker, Ansible, AWS SDK & WebConsole
-Experience of web services, RESTful APIs etc.
-Experience with Relational and NoSQL databases.
-Working knowledge of Hibernate/JPA.
-Experience with using a messaging system like ActiveMQ or Kafka or SQS etc.
-Experience with Unix/Linux systems.
--Unix and Linux command line and bash/csh scripting
-Experience with a version control system.
--GitLab, Git CLI, GitHub, Bitbucket, Subversion
-Experience with Cloud computing services (AWS preferred, MS Azure).
-Experience in the integration, design and development of software system that are JAVA application that interact with large databases – PostgreSQL experience preferred.
- Experience with Agile methodology and DevOps.
- Experience with Docker with Ruby on Rails.
- Knowledge and/or working experience of Angular 2+, Spring Framework.
- Experience with json/xml.
- Experience of Maven and/or Gradle.
- Experience with 508 compliance/Google analytics/DAP.
- Able to work independently and on a team.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.