SAIC is seeking a Software Systems Engineer who will serve as a software assurance (SwA) SME providing support to the Resilient Systems Directorate in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (USD(R&E)). The perfect candidate will have software engineering expertise with a focus on SwA and Cyber; worked on one or more DoD weapon systems; and understand OSD or Service level policy and guidance for modern software development and program protection.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advance DoD SwA state of practice through the development of policy, guidance, and standards.
- Promulgate SwA best practice through active participation in appropriate technical working groups, Community of Practice (CoP) groups, seminars, meetings and conferences.
- Support DoD weapon systems Independent Technical Risk Assessments (ITRA) by providing software evaluation of secure software planning, design, development and other related activities.
- Review advanced SwA tools and Science and Technology (S&T) capabilities to support DoD adoption.
- Perform tasks as a software Subject Matter Expert (SME), including providing support in recommending software assurance and systems security engineering best practices, remediation measures, implementation measures.
- Prepare executive level decision briefs, develop courses of action for short- and long-range implementation and administration of strategic objectives.
- Perform important professional engineering work that relates to directing, coordinating, and managing highly complex and innovative SwA.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Ten (10) years of overall experience
- At least five years of experience in Software Development, Testing or related activities through the software development life cycle supporting the DoD or related customers.
- Experience with software engineering within diverse modern software development methodologies (DevSecOps, Agile, CI/CD pipeline).
- Knowledge of cyber security-related engineering activities including attack modeling and vulnerability scoring.
- Knowledge of secure coding standards, software, and cybersecurity best practices.
- Knowledge in areas of identifying, prioritizing, and mitigating software weaknesses and vulnerabilities by employing appropriate automated analysis tools during the entire lifecycle of the system, including development, testing, operations, sustainment, and retirement.
- Knowledge of theories, precepts, and principles of software engineering and related sciences to plan, organize, and execute assigned DoD weapon systems programs involving the computer and related hardware and software of real-time and embedded systems.
- Ability to develop, prepare, coordinate, staff, and implement policies, procedures, programs, and directives.
- Experience in preparing, coordinating, and presenting briefings
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Active Secret clearance with ability to obtain a TS/SCI
- Masters and seven (7) years of experience
- Advanced degree(s) in Engineering or related technical field
- Experience conducting or participating in software risk assessment for DoD weapon systems
- Experience in creation, deployment, and maintenance of cloud infrastructure, automated CI/CD pipeline, and container orchestration platforms.
- Knowledge of DoD Program Protection and Critical Technology Protection planning, design, and execution.
- Knowledge of DoD service component missions and relationships with the Military Departments, Defense Agencies and other Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) components.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the DoD organizational structure and budgeting process, OSD inter-office coordination, and communication protocols.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.