SAIC is looking for a Software Systems Engineer Senior to join our team
This is a Remote position and may be worked from anywhere in the United States
The candidate will serve as an integral member of an atmospheric sciences research and development (R&D) team for the US Navy Research Laboratory (NRL) Marine Meteorology Division in Monterey, CA that develops advanced Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) support products for the US Navy. The applicant will must have the ability to contribute to research to develop and apply state-of-the-art next-generation modeling systems; and to advance these systems using the latest emerging computational and algorithmic sciences, which lead to significant improvements for Navy data assimilation (DA) as well as deterministic and probabilistic prediction systems.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide high-performance computing (HPC) and software engineering (SE) expertise to develop, optimize, and maintain a suite of existing and next-generation Navy numerical weather prediction (NWP) systems for global and regional Earth system prediction.
- Work as a member of a team of computational scientists and software engineers to develop and test novel algorithmic designs and optimizations for the efficient and accurate integration of the Navier-Stokes equations on existing and emerging computational architectures.
- Enable NRL to leverage ongoing research in community-based DA and physical parameterization software suites by helping to develop new algorithms to efficiently and optimally couple these packages to Navy NWP systems.
- Use their expertise in computational, algorithmic, and numerical methods to understand the trade-space between model efficiency and accuracy. Apply new and emerging computational hardware and HPC programming models to develop insight into the dependencies of the efficiency-accuracy trade-space on hardware, providing a way forward towards hardware agnostic NWP modeling systems.
- Participate in research on computational and algorithmic aspects of next-generation Earth system prediction models. Require knowledge of computational science, NWP, physical parameterizations, DA computational algorithms, and the numerical techniques used in the models, as well as knowledge of statistics to analyze results.
- Help explore and develop new types of parallelism for NWP, including the development and testing of algorithms for task-based parallelism for physical parametrizations, algorithms for asynchronous techniques for physics-dynamics coupling, and the use of novel storage techniques for continuous DA.
- Conduct scientific investigations related to existing and next-generation NWP models, and in developing efficient and robust computer codes related to next-generation models amenable to emerging technology such as hardware accelerators including graphical processing units (GPUs), tensor processing units (TPUs), and field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
- Participate in developing reduced- and mixed-precision techniques in NWP and DA to increase computation throughput on future computational systems.
- Assist in transitioning code development and/or research to the Navy's operational environment.
- Help prepare the necessary documentation for any modifications made to existing research and/or operational code, including the preparation of in-house technical notes as well as user manuals written following the proper documentation standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; four (4) years experience accepted in leui of degree; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience
- Shall have demonstrated experience in developing meteorological or oceanographic applications.
- Must have 3 years of demonstrated experience in 24/7 operational environment or equivalent experience.
- Must demonstrate experience with a combination of FORTRAN, C, and C++ programming languages and the UNIX operating system as well as MPI, OpenMP, and OpenACC for parallel programming.
- Must have acted as the primary point-of-contact for all aspects of the end-to-end data flow for applications including secure authentication and computational efficiency.
Knowledge of methods and procedures in NWP with particular emphasis on computational algorithms and science, and existing and leading-edge numerical methods such as finite-difference/finite-volume methods, spectral methods, and element-based Galerkin methods.Experience in developing efficient and robust computer codes related to global, regional, and ensemble models efficiently designed for large-scale distributed memory computer systems.
Candidate must posess Interim clearance to start with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Shall have at a minimum a M.S. degree in Computer Science or in a related Mathematics or Engineering field.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining web-based applications in the Navy METOC operational environment.
- Experience with High performance Computing (HPC).
- Experience applying the DISA Application Security and Development Secure Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) to operational applications.
- Experience creating software for computer graphic visualization techniques.
Target salary range: $125,001 - $150,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.