SAIC is seeking an IDM Solutions Architect to join our S3I team in Huntsville, AL.
SAIC is supporting the Software, Simulation, Systems Engineering and Integration Directorate (S3I) in continuation of the Improved Data Modem (IDM) sustainment and development. The IDM is a communication device for the Army rotorcraft digital fleet. It is an Airworthy hardware and software system. The S3I is supporting software sustainment for fielded IDM systems and an update to transition to the Aviation Mission Common Server multi-core processor (MCP) implementation of IDM. The S3I is developing the MCP Operating Environment (OE) and the IDM Software Application (ISA). A Chief Architecture Engineer is needed to provide oversight to all IDM architecture development and maintenance tasks. The Chief Architecture Engineer will support the team in critical decisions regarding software architecture, implementation, testing and future planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the architecture design to ensure it meets all requirements.
- Provide technical supervision for the development of all IDM architecture/software (OE, ISA and Legacy) and future modifications to IDM hardware. Note: S3I does not have the responsibility for IDM HW design, but may be asked to assess potential upgrades and modifications.
- Support the S3I Customer in assessing all IDM proposed modifications, improvements, requests and recommendations.
- Identify and make management aware of potential issues that could impact design, schedule or airworthiness of the IDM software. Lead the effort to resolve all issues identified.
- Support system requirements to include eliciting, managing, reviewing, and ensuring correct implementation.
- Ensure the robustness of the IDM through participation in the entire software lifecycle.
- Assist in the architecture, design and modeling of the IDM software.
- Keep abreast of new technologies that might be beneficial to the customer and organization.
- Provide proof-of-concepts or minimum version of the final product which may involve presenting to customer.
- Attend management meetings to decipher technology or render opinions on technology.
- Design reference architectures as required to support the customer and business.
- Serve as a general technical resource for the development organization.
- Provide roadmaps that show how the organization will move towards a certain future state.
- Drive the Systems Engineering and Software Development Life Cycle process by participating in Architecture and Code Reviews, attend Sprint kickoff and retrospectives, and provide approvals for code delivery to customer.
- Guide and advise on the engineering process including coding practices.
- Performance optimization by guiding and influencing the engineering team.
- Ensure that the organization is using the appropriate technology and software.
- Ensure that the organization is not using End-of-Life software.
- Run or participate in architecture reviews and approvals.
- Socialization of architecture across the IDM Team and enterprise.
Required Education & Skills:
Education: Bachelors and fourteen (14) years or more experience; Masters and nine (9) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and seven (7) years or more experience.
Clearance: The ability to obtain a secret clearance or an active secret clearance.
- High level of architecture design process and review board.
- Strong knowledge of Technology Strategy and Roadmap for IDM landscape to support transformation and technology initiatives.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of reporting tools for management of DOD standards-based System of Systems Architectures.
- Ability to deliver cross functional architecture and supervise development teams, develop and maintained technical program/project performance and quality metrics.
- Deep understanding of architecture for a real-time environment requiring low latency and high frequency execution.
- Ability to drive solution selection process; responsible for technical architecture design and implementation strategies.
- Expert ability to create common knowledge foundation across teams via cross-organization architecture knowledge sharing forums.
- Strong understanding of flexible web architecture solutions to support multiple configurations and possible customers.
- Ability to author architecture documents, quality control procedures, and other program documents.
- Strong leadership skills are required in order to guide the team through execution and resolution of issues that occur.
- Expert problem solving skills and keen analytical abilities.
- Expert communication and negotiation skills (written and verbal) to effectively communicate with technical and managerial personnel.
- Expert knowledge of software development methodologies and processes.
- History of design, implementation and on-time delivery of successful software products.
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through skills
- Less than 10% Travel should be expected
- Understanding of systems engineering and automated test processes.
- Ability to work under a deadline.
- Self-motivation to continually learn and improve.
- Understanding of Army Aviation platforms and operational use of IDM.
- Understanding of the DoD Acquisition Process.
- Previous knowledge of IDM system.
- Experience with Rapita Systems.
- Expert knowledge with developing airworthy systems DO-178.
- General knowledge of embedded systems.
- Experience with multicore SW projects.
- Experience with Variable Message Format (VMF) or other military communication protocols.
- Knowledge of Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE) requirements
- Experience with Model Based Software Engineering (MBSE)
- Familiar with DOORS.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.