SAIC is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Principal Propulsion Engineer in our Space System Center in El Segundo, CA to support the Enterprise Mission Assurance Team (EMAT). The EMAT ensures the Space System Center (SSC) space vehicles, launch vehicles, and ground control systems built properly to perform reliably over the systems mission life. The EMAT’s mission is to deliver technically superior risk assessments and smart risk mitigation options to assure SMC space systems’ mission success in support of the joint warfighter and the nation. The SSC Space Flight Worthiness maintains the EMAT to provide an independent assessment of program risks and risk mitigation options to SSC leadership for designated SSC launch vehicles, space vehicles, and ground control systems. The EMAT acts independently from the programs under its review, and the SSC Commander in Chief is the final authority for directing and authorizing reviews by the EMAT
- Support the Propulsion Panel by providing technical assistance in the area of space and launch vehicle propulsion systems.
- Provide technical evaluation and risk assessments of small and large liquid propulsion systems (hypergolic and cryogenic systems), solid propulsion (Hydroxyl-121 terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) propellants and graphite epoxy case materials), small apogee kick motor (AKM), large ablating nozzle, thrust vector control, mass properties, and ordnance.
- Provide technical evaluations and risk assessments in the area of product assurance include quality assurance/manufacturing, reliability, parts/materials/ processes control, contamination/corrosion control, and a comparison of the adequacy of the product for performance and build quality against design disclosure and fleet norms.
- Provide Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS), including subject matter expertise (SME), in support of EMAT mission areas as directed in SMC-G-1201, SMC-G-1202, SMC-G-1203, and SMC-G-1204.
- Ensures that SSC space vehicles, launch vehicles, and ground systems built properly to perform reliably over the system’s mission life.
- Support IPTs in developing draft charts in support of Readiness Reviews described in those guides.
- Perform peer reviews as a member of the technical panel on space vehicles, control segments, and launch vehicles developed by SSC s prime contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Bachelor of Science Degree required in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, or a Physical Science.
- Minimum 9 plus years of hands-on design, build, or test experience in one or more of the following areas: Large Liquid Engines (RD-180, RS-68, RL10, Merlin or similar engines) and/or Solid Rocket Motors or Retro Rockets, Booster Separation Systems (explosive bolts), Satellite Propulsion Subsystem, Rocket Engine Valves analysis.
- Significant experience in performing risk analysis and mitigation on Space Vehicles or Launch Vehicle solid/ propulsion systems and its subsystem components using Department of Defense approved risk analysis process.
- Extremely motivated individual who is a self-starter and a team player.
- Demonstrated experience in executing tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience with team leadership, and program/project management.
- Demonstrated experience working with Air Force and DoD contractors in a development environment
- Experience writing and delivering technical documents and briefings
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills as well as organizational skill
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to enable working, interfacing, and interrelating with diverse personnel and dynamic teams
- Current Secret clearance required
- Prior Space Force Space System Center program experience
- Prior experience with SpaceX , United Launch Alliance launch vehicles
- Prior Experience with satellite propulsion programs
- El Segundo, CA – Eligible for Remote Work
Target salary range: $155,001 - $165,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.