SAIC is seeking a mid-to-senior level Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the Testbed development for the On-orbit Servicing Assembly and Manufacturing (OSAM-1) program, in the NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects (NExIS) division. This position is located at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test, and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will support the OSAM-1 Flatsat Test Lead in leading, managing, and executing the system-level build, testing, modification, and operation of the Flatsat testbed. Additional testbeds or flight elements may be utilized.
Job duties include:
- Supports and serves as backup as directed by the Flatsat Testbed Lead.
- Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA and OSAM-1 standards, project plans, and policies.
- Assess complex issues and recommend resolution to the team and management; implement resolutions.
- Authors Testbed Electrical Integration procedure utilizing safe-to-mate, functional, and Testbed certification procedures written by others in the Testbed EE team. Ensure these procedures are completed and released in TDMS by deadline set by Flatsat Testbed Lead. Deputy Lead to relay questions or issues to Testbed Lead throughout development.
- Supports Flatsat Testbed Lead in the development, drafting, and release of the Flatsat Electrical Interconnect Drawing.
- Monitor harness development and builds as it pertains to Flatsat. Participate in drawing reviews and managing priority with Testbed EE/SW Lead. Ensure harness fabrication and delivery meets schedule set by Testbed Lead.
- Formulate test plans and procedures; identify requirements to be validated and/or verified during the test.
- Coordinates and leads the Test Readiness Review Process for Certified Tests with Test Lead per designation.
- Coordinate with the OSAM-1 integration and test team to ensure test readiness.
- Manages and documents the Testbed Configuration; ensures Testbed configurations will support tests as defined in test documentation and certifies the Testbed for use.
- Reports Testbed schedule changes to Flatsat Testbed Lead.
- Generate Work Order Authorization (WOA) documents for work on the testbed as assigned by the Flatsat Testbed Lead and Flatsat Testbed Activities.
- Execute Work Orders on-site in the Flatsat Testbed which include Receiving and Acceptance (R&A) hardware, hardware integration, performing electrical and mechanical integration activities, running functional tests, and testbed certifications.
- Oversees and/or executes the R&A Process for Testbed deliverables, Testbed configuration changes, functional tests, and certifications.
- Coordinates the near term deliveries of items to the Testbed with the PDLs in accordance with the IMS.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or closely related field, with 7+ years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in engineering of aerospace systems.
- Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and/or electrical engineering, preferably in the aerospace industry.
- Experience in authoring and maintaining technical documentation.
- Proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule.
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain NASA ESD certification.
- Experience working with Flatsat hardware and/or performing flight or GSE testing using Flatsat systems.
- Experience with NASA (GSFC preferred) mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
- Experience with robotic systems or complex mechanisms.
- Experience in system integration and testing of electrical systems for space applications (e.g. spacecraft, flight instruments, launch vehicles).
- Experience in requirements development, validation, and verification.
- Experience in designing tests (of varying scales and fidelity) that help validate a design or verify a set of requirements.
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and resolving technical problems with complex technical systems.
- Skilled at determining corrective action and/or workarounds to problems.
- Skilled in working in large teams of multidisciplinary engineers and technicians with different viewpoints and responsibilities. Comfortable working in and encouraging a team-oriented environment. Willingness to work outside area of technical expertise.
- Experience with technical risk assessment.
- Experience handling hardware of varying fidelity and cost (e.g. mockups / breadboards, engineering development units, flight hardware).
- Experience with standard computational software (e.g. Matlab, MathCAD).
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.