The Network Engineer will perform senior level support staff (Tier 2/3) administrative functions for the day-to-day operation in a federal IT Network services environment. When required, escalate operational or technical concerns to federal SME(s) for the given infrastructure service or end user program area. Provide on-call coverage for all network assets within the area of operational responsibility.
Network Implementation Support – Enterprise Wide
- Work locally or remotely with customer technical resources to perform installation, deployment, configuration, customization, and integration of new and existing network equipment and technologies in large offices, field offices and datacenters or other large environments
- Ensure all implementation and deployment support includes complete documentation including items such as equipment lists, rack elevation drawings, block diagrams, configuration records, environment diagrams, logical inventory spreadsheets, IP listings, standard operating procedures, implementation guides, update guides, and communications flow diagrams and /or firewall rules.
- Provide Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation (CDM) for Forescout Counteract Appliances. Ensure all routers and switches supported by customer are syncing properly to the CounterACT Appliance Management Console. In cases where a device is not syncing properly, the contractor shall troubleshoot sync/polling issues. When necessary, escalate to customer SME(s).
Network Operational Support – Enterprise Wide
- Execute and coordinate upgrades, patching, and operations of network infrastructure, including hardware, software, and network applications and services.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly checks and routine maintenance tasks such as version upgrades, configuration, operational tuning, and vendor patching for all network equipment in accordance with established policy and procedures.
- Recommend, plan, and execute configuration change(s) as required for operational requirements for the network routers, switches, firewalls, and appliances.
- Coordinate relevant support and troubleshooting activities with department partners and vendors. This will include coordination with both private sector vendors and other Government agencies.
- Serve as first technical support escalation point from IOD Operations Center (IOC) for all network related support tickets.
- Assist in development of system alerts for monitoring of services within the IOD supported network and the associated hardware systems.
- Perform all functional checks, troubleshooting, operational and administration tasks on managed all network and network security infrastructure supporting IOD hosted services or transport to customers and external providers.
- Coordinate with the asset team to manage firewall licensing throughout the enterprise.
- Coordinate with customer federal staff and other agencies and vendors in the troubleshooting and problem identification of issues within the customer SCA and UTN network as related to the optimal communications within, and operation of the SCA network.
- Actively escalate all critical issues to customer federal staff in a timely manner, and coordinate problem identification and troubleshooting calls with all necessary parties.
- Work with vendors as required to resolve hardware and software OS failures for support of IOD systems.
- Ensure that all systems and infrastructure associated with this call order operate at the SLA availability percentage, this includes platforms, applications, and infrastructure.
- Configure VPNs per government specified security practices including configuring router and switch ports as part of a virtual network to support encryption or encapsulation, assigning IP addresses, and adjusting firewall rules.
- Provide a weekly report on overutilization of operational systems such as WAN links, server components, network routers and switches, based on specified thresholds to the identified location. Systems in imminent failure identified by tools or analysis will be identified to the federal POC and IOC immediately and a trouble ticket will be generated.
- Perform capacity management, performance tuning, and operating system optimization with other team members as required.
- Engage in review, analysis, troubleshooting and coordination with project managers, integrators, customers, and administrators of the above technologies.
- Configure devices to the appropriate DISA STIG (security technical implementation guide) or another approved hardening guide; respond to security audits or assessments and correct configurations to meet policy or standards.
- Perform technical evaluation and analysis to troubleshoot infrastructure hardware, software, or end user services using appropriate diagnostic tools, log review, and administrative consoles to determine root cause and remediation of service delivery issues or degradation.
- Monitor and assess the overall performance of the IOD IT services environment and providing recommendations for continuous improvement, to implement and/or to restore optimal performance.
- Participate in design and architecture projects and informational requests related to the customer network environment and provide potential risks for staffing (for example, IT Modernization initiatives such as End User Consolidation and the Network Modernization).
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Management.or relevant technical degree
- Must have at least 3 years of hands-on experience in Network Administration.
- Must have experience supporting Fortigate/Fortinet firewalls and other network equipment (switches) that will migrated to the customer standard configuration.
- Must have a valid Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNA) Routing & Switching, certification.
- Must have good interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills.
- Must have experience developing & implementing policies, plans, & procedures.
- Must be able to work with groups to solve business problems with available technology including hardware, software, databases, and peripherals.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.