SAIC is seeking an Electrical Cable and Harness Technician support for the RST (Roman Space Telescope). This position is located onsite at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
The Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope (formerly known as WFIRST, the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope) is a next-generation observatory that will answer pressing cosmic questions.. The mission will create enormous panoramas of the universe to reveal secrets of dark energy and dark matter, discover planets outside our solar system, and address a host of other astrophysics and planetary science topics. With its ability to help solve so many cosmic mysteries, Roman will be one of the most important tools for studying the universe ever built. The Roman project office is located at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and holds responsibility for overall project management. GSFC also leads the development of the Wide-Field Instrument, the spacecraft, and the telescope.
The technician will provide cable and harness assembly support for the RST flight harness.
Job duties include:
- Perform repairs, fabrication, modification and installation of electrical wiring harnesses, cables, wires, wiring assemblies and associated parts for electrical ground support equipment and flight hardware.
- Read and interpret work instructions, schematics, wirelists and drawings.
- Perform connector pin crimping, soldering, cabling and chassis wiring.
- Ensure quality of the hardware is maintained and NASA quality and safety standards and procedures are followed.
- Ensure work is done with completeness, accuracy, adherence to operation sheets, ISO procedures, schedules and assigned tasks.
- Compile, record, and analyze test data and results to determine conformance to supplied documentation.
- Communicate recommendations, issues, and risks to engineers and management.
- Support the engineers in assessing and recommending design modifications.
- Maintain relevant certifications and knowledge of industry standard practices, procedures, and parts.
- May participate in planning for procurement and kitting.
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*).
- English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain NASA ESD certification.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- HS diploma and 7+ years of relevant experience or AA degree in relevant field and 6+ years of experience required.
- Fabrication of harnessing which include crimping and soldering, routing harness assemblies on structures and wrapping harnesses, preferably at NASA or for a spaceflight application.
- Ability to perform soldering and crimping.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment to perform required functions.
- Ability to accomplish complex wiring tasks.
- Experience with various hand tools and test equipment to include: multi-meters, vector network analyzers, copper certification testers, retention testers, and basic hand tools.
- Ability to read, interpret, understand, apply, and enforce engineering, technical, and maintenance specifications, policies, standards and procedures to ensure the quality and safety of assemblies.
- Ability to communicate with the project engineer/designer on any issues pertaining to the task.
- Ability to work within specific compliance standards and with accepted practices and work assignments.
- Ability to obtain and maintain all relevant trainings and certifications.
- NASA-STD, 8973. J-STD, mate/demate, and ESD certifications.
- Experience with polymeric applications.
- Experience working with program requirements, equipment performance specs, wire connection lists, schematics, wire gauge sizing, connector selection and related cabling and harnessing documentation.
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) considerations with respect to electrical design.
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems.
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.