The Portfolio Manager’s primary focus is to make the best possible use of IT and business resources to deliver the maximum value and benefits from projects and programs within the portfolio.
This role can be done remotely but there is a preference for someone to be located around Richmond, VA
The Portfolio Manager is responsible for the oversight and administration of the project portfolio. This includes:
- Portfolio oversight and project prioritization
- Work with demand management to understand the demand pipeline and resource requirements to meet the demand
- Performing project resource planning, leveling and management
- Identifying risks to achieving strategic objectives
- Ensure adherence to PMO standards
- Report on portfolio performance and health to SAIC Leadership, VITA Leadership and other stakeholders;
- Ensure timely project initiation and milestone tracking and reporting;
- Work with PMs on overall issues and risk mitigation and escalation management
- Develop, update, and maintain Service Management Manuals (SMMs) which document PMO processes
- Perform ‘what if’ scenarios - Perform continuous analysis and monitoring of portfolio components to identify issues, risks, and opportunities for improvement. The Portfolio Manager will strive to balance and optimize the portfolio to achieve strategic portfolio objectives.
- Manage Portfolio Management Systems and Reporting
- Manage the PPM system and reporting; this involves the continued configuration and maintenance for ongoing Reporting requirements.
The Portfolio Manager will also work with the PMO Manager and VITA to develop and implement best practices, processes, and tools for effective portfolio/project management, and will help educate project managers and teams on best practices for effective project execution.
The Portfolio Manager Key Personnel must have the demonstrated competency and experience to:
- Perform resource planning, leveling and management
- forecast impacts on staffing for SAIC and the STS based on understanding of the annual technology plan and demand management inputs
- ensure and balance the availability of the required skills and competencies across project and program teams
- Communicate effectively and authoritatively to internal and external stakeholders, including executive leadership of SAIC and VITA
- Maintain a complex portfolio with multiple sub-portfolios aligned to strategic objectives
Required Education and Experience:
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to clearly communicate complex messages to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated competency in developing and managing complex programs
- Proven ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances in a complex multisupplier environment
- Excellent prioritization, resource planning and management skills as well as proven ability in risk identification, assessment and mitigation planning
- Thorough understanding of information technology and its application and importance to the business and is conversant with current technologies
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic, who sets high standards for self and others and demonstrates enthusiasm for the mission of the commonwealth.
- Proficient in:
- MS Office
- MS Project
- Bachelors and 14 years or more of related experience; may consider a high school education with an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a portfolio , EPMO or enterprise program manager in a large, complex enterprise
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a PMO managing large scale, complex IT infrastructure projects and/or programs, preferably in the state or federal government sector
- Knowledge and understanding of standard project portfolio management tools; experience with ServiceNow preferred
- PMP required; PgMP or PfMP preferred
- ITIL Certification Desired
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s desired
- Prior consulting experience is a plus
Customer is located in Richmond, Virginia. Occasional travel may be required.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.