SAIC has an immediate need for a Technical Publications Lead to support the JOIST Baseline A contract at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. The JOIST Baseline A contract is responsible for the support of the NASA Aircraft Management Information System (NAMIS) and extensive technical documentation and publications support, much of which is incorporated into NAMIS. The documentation consists of technical publications, including maintenance manuals, operating manuals, Service Bulletins (SB), Airworthiness Directives (AD), and Time Compliance Technical Orders (TCTO).
- Provide technical lead support to Aircraft Operations Division's (AOD's) documentation effort. Interface and coordinated tasks, and negotiated schedules with AOD Process Owners, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and Integrated Project Team (IPT) Leads
- Perform extensive editing and rewriting to improve coherence and clarity in aviation maintenance manuals, flight publications, checklists, and other related documents
- Research technical material to ensure accuracy and clear presentation
- Consult with subject matter experts to validate technical information
- Manage all aspects of the document life cycle (i.e., initial concept, development, review, release, configuration management
- Coordinate with support staff to complete document development (i.e., technical writing, graphics, and word processing)
- Peer reviews of hard copy and electronic documents to ensure quality and consistency
- Provide weekly project summation to management
- Maintain configuration control of electronic files
- Perform online editing and prepare PDF file for publication
- Develop and update project schedules and develop document requirements packages for projects, as required
- Provide cost estimates and ensure it remains below budgeted cost
- Assign tasks to team members
- Provide training and technical assistance for desktop publishing used by subordinates
- Assisted with identifying and interviewing possible candidates for new team members
- Perform the first level of review of all documentation deliverables
- Interface with NASA Reproduction and ensure printed documents are correct
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors and ten (10) years or more of related experience; Masters and eight (8) years or more experience; PhD or JD and two (2) years or more experience
- Strong writing, proofreading, production, and technical editing skills.
- A familiarity with aerospace documentation.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Good analytical skills, with attention to detail.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Pro
Desired Skills / Experiences:
- Small team management experience
- Exposure to airworthiness standards and procedures
- NASA experience helpful
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- Must be able to pass the NASA badge required background checks.
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Project scheduling
Travel (if any):
- Travel may be necessary on an as needed (and funding allowed) basis to support technical documentation support at White Sands Test Facility (WSTF) located in El Paso, Texas.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.