SAIC is seeking a qualified Network Engineer to support the US Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS) program in Kaiserslautern, Germany.
AFAMS is the premier agency responsible for implementation, integration, and development of Modeling and Simulation (M&S) and training and analysis standards that support the US Air Force (USAF), Department of Defense (DoD), and mission partners requiring these capabilities to support the Warfighter in full-spectrum operations. As the lead agent for M&S within the USAF, AFAMS gathers requirements, seeks out potential solutions, and integrates legacy and emerging M&S solutions across the USAF and the DoD. The USAF has an M&S initiative that focuses on providing simulation and synthetic training as the critical capability to augment live training, act as an enabler for critical decision-making, and enhance human performance. In the current resource constrained environment, demand for M&S rises with the continuously evolving need for operational readiness and mission preparedness across the USAF, DoD, and with coalition partners. AFAMS focuses on providing innovative M&S services as the key to meeting this demand.
The role of this position is to support the Warrior Preparation Center (WPC) in Einsiedlerhof AS, Germany. The Network Engineer will:
- The Contractor shall possess and maintain a Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) in Routing and Switching.
- Manage, operate, and maintain the WPC’s physical networks including, but not limited to, Non-Secure Internet Protocol Network (NIPRNET), Secure Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNET), all Coalition and Exercise networks, commercial Internet, telephone systems (as required), Video Teleconferencing (VTC) systems, and the badge access system.
- The Contractor shall implement network upgrades, system software patching, and security compliance in accordance with Maintenance Task Orders, Information Assurance Vulnerability Management, Air Force Instructions, and WPC policies.
- The Contractor shall support SC with required analysis, design, and other acquisition activities related to the WPC networks.
- The Contractor shall perform field engineering activities in accordance with project or exercise plans and designs provided by SC, including but not limited to: Operate and maintain all WPC exercise networks and permanent party networks and systems.
- The Contractor shall also perform activities such as network monitoring (using available network monitoring tools), providing operating system and other software upgrades for network devices, and performing preventative and corrective maintenance on selected network equipment.
- The Contractor shall provide on-the-job training to military and civilian personnel in network operations and maintenance activities.
- Configure all switches and routers into nodes for monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Perform data captures of network traffic during exercises.
- Perform system configuration and start up configuration backups of all network equipment.
- Push out network-wide switch configuration changes. Perform network vulnerability scans.
- Compile and run compliance policy reports. Configure switches to direct all network traffic data to be captured in Net Flow.
- Perform daily network checks of key network switches and routers to include: physical equipment checks; configuration and installation of switches and routers on all networks in their proper rack location; proper labeling of all network equipment for easy identification and troubleshooting; inventory of switches and routers with Cisco Smartnet; keeping switches and routers up-to-date with latest IOS software to prevent vulnerabilities; troubleshooting all network equipment when connectivity is lost or not operating at full capacity; ensuring all aspects of switch capabilities are configured and operational (e.g., Multicast, Virtual Local Area Networks, Secure Shell); and configuration of all switches on all networks for uniformity and strong passwords.
- Maintain all fiber and copper cables in a uniform manner, including: labeling cable for identification and troubleshooting; running fiber between buildings to establish network connectivity for all devices on all networks; installing, maintaining, and repairing fiber patches and panels; troubleshooting fiber when network connectivity is lost, intermittent, or not optimal; terminating network cables used at all layers on all networks; and maintaining and installing network infrastructure for exercise and permanent party on all networks.
- Maintain a central management point of control for troubleshooting and monitoring encryption devices; maintain cut sheets with TACLANE configurations for troubleshooting; manage, maintain and operate all encryption devices on all networks; ensure all encryption keys are properly maintained, updated and disposed of in accordance with Communications Security requirements; and troubleshoot encryption devices when network connectivity is lost or when physical layer is not present.
- Prepare networks for exercises, including but not limited to: adding routes to and from participating partners on corresponding networks; testing networks and network capabilities prior to start of an event; performing data captures of network traffic flow for participants; and ensuring capability and data integrity exists for multiple simultaneous events.
- Configure and administer network devices; install, maintain and operate VTC Systems; install, maintain and operate audio/visual (A/V) requirements for exercise participants; troubleshoot A/V and VTC Systems; and optimize all A/V Systems in accordance with DISA and Joint Interoperability Test Command policies and procedures.
- Maintain firewall and Intrusion Detection Systems. Configure and implement approved PPS rules to support events and exercises.
- Monitor and troubleshoot applicable firewall rules to facilitate successful event execution.
- Coordinate with event planners, network management personnel, and end users to ensure firewall rules are functioning properly. Install and update system configurations based on applicable DoD, DISA (including STIG), and USAF security guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
The following skills are required or desired as stated:
- The Contractor shall possess and maintain a CCNP in Routing and Switching. 10 years’ experience (both waiverable by the WPC/SC).
- DoD 8570.1 IAT Level II Certification required.
- Desired Familiarity with the following: CISCO ASA, CISCO UCS, OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, Hyper Converged architecture, CISCO UC, VDI, VTC technology.
- Bachelors and six (6) years or more of related experience; Masters and four (4) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience. In lieu of a degree an additional 4 years of experience is required.
- A Secret (fully adjudicated and eligible for NATO) secuity clearance is required for this position.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.