Job ID: 2117600
Location: COLLEGE PARK, MD, United States
Date Posted: Nov 24, 2021
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: Public Trust
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: Yes
Benefits: Click here
SAIC is interested in hiring a Senior Scientific Software Engineer for one of our programs supporting the FDA. SAIC supports the FDA and its scientists in Scientific Computing which includes, but is not limited to, technical and research aspects of bioinformatics (bioinformatic workflow analysis, scientific software support, scientific instrument support all in a laboratory environment) supporting a variety of FDA Centers. This position will support CFSAN in College Park, MD.
This is a 100% remote / Work from home role.
- The Senior Scientific Software Engineer will be responsible for troubleshooting bioinformatic software problems, suggesting enhancements to improve workflow performance as well as writing scripts for daily administration and supporting documentation to automate repeatable tasks.
- This software engineer will install new scientific software releases, collaborate with scientists and engineers, evaluate and document workflows and resolve software and scientific workflow related problems.
- The candidate will also monitor software system configurations to ensure reliable operation, ease of use, and integration with scientific workflows in the enterprise environment.
- The Senior Scientific Software Engineer will create/maintain scientific software procedural and technical documentation.
- Experience with NGS (Next-Generation Sequencing) procedures, tools, and data formats
PROBLEM COMPLEXITY: Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable and consistent with organization objectives.
FREEDOM TO ACT: Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Demonstrates good judment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. IMPACT: Contributes to completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources. LIASON: Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree and 9+ years’ of work related experience
Degree fields include science, chemistry, physics, engineering, information systems, computer science, MIS. May accept an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Associates degree and 11+ years’ of work related experience
Degree fields include science, chemistry, physics, engineering, information systems, computer science, MIS
- Provides bioinformatics and computational support for processing, quality control, and analysis
- Works with HPC systems to improve bioinformatic tasks/workflows
- Collaborates with Engineers and Scientists to integrate existing capabilities and optimize operations
- Works with Engineers and Scientists to understand and document bioinformatic needs
- Experience building, maintaining, and supporting software for HPC systems
- Experience working with and supporting a LIMS system
- Focused documentation experience
- Experience working in a team environment
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.