E4 I SEOS ISS VSE/GFE R&M
SMAEC II has a rewarding position supporting the NASA Safety and Mission Assurance Engineering Contract (SMAEC II) at the Johnson Space Center in Houston helping to continue our exploration of space. Come join our team and help us continue the mission of space exploration. Systems Engineering and GFE R&M Engineer Responsibilities include:
- Perform system safety and reliability evaluations of proposed Space Station mission flight rules and Crew Operational Procedures prior to on-orbit use.
- Complete the ISS S&MA Vehicle Subsystem Engineering training/certification program to support ISS Structures & Mechanisms S&MA
- GFE R&M Engineer will apply R&M expertise to review program requirements and ensure R&M Requirements are implemented through the different design phases.
- The GFE R&M Safety Engineer will ensure maintainability design standards, criteria and checklist validity meets program standards/requirements
- Support Preliminary and Critical Design Reviews of ISS systems hardware; provide engineering evaluations against design and safety requirements.
- Assure the technical adequacy of analyses developed by outside agencies.
- Assess the system safety and fault tolerance characteristics of Station flight equipment operations to include analyses using fault trees and event simulation modeling of ISS operational support plans. Develop and evaluate root cause and corrective actions using standard engineering techniques such as Fault Tree Analysis.
- This position will require extensive oral and written interaction with high-level customer personnel. Perform real-time risk assessments of ISS systems and operational changes and their impacts to the crew and vehicle.
- Requires some shift work during major on-orbit anomalies.
- Participate in the International Space Station Program (ISSP) forums to provide S&MA engineering support in vehicle development and operations processes. Provide technical engineering support to NASA ISSP Representatives to decision-making boards and panels.
- Review and assess safety analysis hazard reports, requirement non-compliances, and support programmatic safety reviews.
- Evaluate safety and mission assurance impacts of proposed engineering changes to ISS hardware and processes.
- Assess Failure Modes and Effects Analyses and Critical Items for S&MA engineering for accuracy and completeness.
- Assess ISS hardware Problem Reports to ensure that they capture safety and reliability issues.
- Infrequent travel may be required.
Education and experience:
- BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline
- 15 or more years' experience in operations or engineering
- Basic knowledge and use of personal computer with typical business software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are mandatory.
- Must be able to travel (minimal) and work shifts periodically.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- Experience in Structures and Mechanisms
- Experience in operational procedure development or evaluation is desirable.
- Systems Engineering experience is desired. Spacecraft vehicle and system knowledge is desired.
- NASA S&MA experience is desirable.
- GFE knowledge
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.