SAIC is seeking an Executive Speechwriter to support the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)), who will be primarily responsible for writing major addresses, speeches, remarks, and talking points for the Under Secretary and may be required to support other senior government leaders with written materials.
A perfect candidate will have depth and breadth of knowledge to ensure written materials are compelling and accurately convey the customer’s mission. The Executive Speechwriter will directly support the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (USD(R&E)) in all engagements, both internal and external, to accomplish strategic messaging and branding objectives.
Job Duties Include:
The following list is a general summary of responsibilities for this position:
- Research and write/create new presentations, speeches and communication pieces that address complex and high-profile issues; advise and consult with the customer on messaging and communications strategies; create in-depth communications on a range of subjects.
- Ensure relevant strategy, messaging, branding, and other leadership goals are met and/or accomplished in each task.
- Work with relevant Department of Defense (DoD) leadership and subject matter experts to ensure each speech holistically covers the relevant topic and meets expectations for each engagement.
- Produce clear communications through a wide range of styles and formats, including formal speeches, remarks, talking points, articles, opinion editorials, blog entries, and other public or internal comments by the Under Secretary and other senior government leaders as required.
- Collaborate with strategic communications and graphic design personnel to ensure that collateral elements that may accompany the speech (e.g., PowerPoints, flash movies, photos, videos, etc.) are prepared and help execute the strategy for the presentation.
- Tailor messages in coordination with OUSD(R&E) strategic communications plans and to serve the needs of different audiences, including employees, clients, media, social media, students, industry participants, and community organizations.
- Perform other writing assignments as required or assigned by customer.
- Perform regular syncs with the OUSD(R&E) strategic communications and front office teams, briefing time sensitive tasks and items.
- Conduct independent research to support and strengthen speeches, presentations, and articles.
- Maintain a comprehensive electronic archive of speeches, remarks, and presentations, both as prepared and as delivered.
- Respond quickly and productively to last minute requests.
- Attend meetings with the Under Secretary to understand and stay abreast of the customer’s key positions on relevant issues and policies, ensuring that messaging aligns to those positions and fulfills the larger organizational strategy.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with ten (10) years of relevant experience. Masters degree and eight (8) years relevant experience
- Strong leadership, problem identification/resolution skills, flexibility, initiative, and a proven ability to work with Senior Executives efficiently and effectively
- Ability to work independently, on short timelines, and with little guidance; self-starter with strong ability to communicate updates to relevant stakeholders that does not need close, daily supervision.
- Ability to communicate broad messages in context of specific writing assignments and individual engagements.
- Ability to understand and write in the voice of a principal, including communication style and preferences in terms of form and content.
- Detail-oriented project management skills with high level of judgment and discretion.
- Robust project and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to research, identify, leverage, and cite materials relevant to the task at hand.
- Outstanding writing skills, with the ability to cater written products for multiple audiences, from Cabinet-level executive leaders to the general public.
- Ability to translate complex, technical and policy initiatives into simple and effective communications.
- Must be able to coordinate across multiple organizations, track timelines, and ensure all stakeholders are engaged as required.
- Outstanding interpersonal, teamwork, and personal communications skills. Very high level of emotional intelligence.
- Active Top Secret/SCI clearance.
- Familiarity with DoD and Associated Press Style Book writing guidelines.
- Strong experience in executive communications, especially writing for a senior executive, elected person, or public figure.
- Journalism, professional writing, or political speechwriting/communications background.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.