SAIC has an immediate need for a Telecommunications Mechanic II to support the NASA Integrated Communications Services (NICS) contract at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, LA. The NICS contract provides high quality integrated communications services for secure voice, video and data solutions and services to NASA customers worldwide.). This position includes direct hands on with, installing cable plant infrastructure, troubleshooting different types of cabling issues, terminating copper and fiber optic cables, installing VoIP phones, installing wireless access points and other operational duties while adhering to strict safety guidelines. This position supports services for Local Area Networks (LAN), Telephones, Emergency Warning System (EWS), Audio and Video, Physical Security Cabling and Inside and Outside Cable Plant throughout multiple Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) buildings.
- Installation, termination, splicing and testing of primarily Voice and Data wiring, both copper and fiber, on occasion coaxial and other communications cable will be required.
- Performance of tests for pair continuity, opens, shorts, grounds, and a battery of tests required for verification of circuit compatibility and certification; using various tool sets such as power meters, optical time domain reflectometers, Fusion Splice Pigtails and Splice on Connectors.
- Installation of cable includes cross connects, in-house, underground, direct buried, aerial, both station and feeder cables.
- Termination of copper cables using terminal types to include 110, 66M and Central Office distribution frame
- Cross connect of circuits on fiber optic outside plant cables having counts ranging from 4 to 288 strands
- Field work includes New Installations, Relocates, Disconnects, Upgrades, Modifies and problem resolution of IT services.
- Record keeping and following or redlining drawings on all IT services provided. Ex: Copper and Fiber circuit assignments – cable pair/strand counts will all be assigned circuit I.D.’s and this data will need constant updating as Service Request and Trouble Tickets are received.
- Review drawings and specifications developed by others and render comment and recommendations as part of a facility requirements documents, agency and center review process.
- Recognize data and data relationship problems and be able to solve independently.
- Provide on-site inspection and provide technical support on cable installation projects with NICS or tenant subcontractors.
- Assist Customer Support and be On Call 24x7, rotating weeks with another technician.
Required Education and Experience:
- A High School Diploma or GED; 5+ years of inside and outside cable plant experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Fiber Optic Fusion splicing.
- Ability to identify different colors and telecom color codes
- Proficiency and the ability to distinguish between single mode and multi-mode fiber optic cables
- Knowledge of industry standard cable specifications
- National Electrical Code (NEC) and its applications in the telecommunications field.
- Must be capable of establishing and working in a productive team environment.
- Must be able to hold Certifications for the following:
- Confined Space Entry, Aerial Platform (Man Lift Operator), Fall Protection - Full Body Harness, and Forklift Operator.
- Proficient in computer programs utilized which include electronic mail, Windows10, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to learn in house computer applications such as Remedy. Must be able to complete and pass a NASA security screening for the appropriate badging required.
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions; adapt to changing organizational needs; take initiative and follow-through.
- Use computers for data entry, spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, and custom applications.
- Use of PatchManager to document all existing and future cable plant projects.
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
- Technician must be able to take written and oral directions as well as having a string sense for self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Audio/Visual, Radio, and Public address system knowledge would be beneficial.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.