SAIC has an opening for a Cloud Compute Engineer. This is a remote position. The SAIC Cloud Services and Data Center Operations (CS&DC ops) team is looking for the right candidate that will help to provide operational and maintenance support for our virtualization, compute, and storage infrastructure and work in a team environment in migrating some of these workloads into our government cloud computing environments. Experience using vRealize Automation for on premise workloads is desirable. The CS&DC ops team is also responsible for the end-to-end lifecycle management, availability, performance and security of all our server, storage and virtual infrastructures. In addition, the following responsibilities will be required for the position:
- Designs, plans, and integrates cloud computing, storage and virtualization systems.
- Designs, develops, and tests automated processes to support various tenancies within our private and public clouds.
- Provides specific, detailed information for hardware and software selection, cloud service provider selection, implementation techniques, application & data migration techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements.
- Develops and conducts testing of cloud and virtualization systems.
- Maintains technical expertise relevant industry standards and in cloud computing and virtualization technologies such as cloud service provider architecture, design, and configuration; cloud deployment models including public, private, and hybrid; cloud service delivery models including infrastructure-, platform-, and software-as-a-service; automation; hypervisors; containers; virtual compute, storage, and networks; virtual infrastructure management; self-provisioning; and scaling.
- Evaluates and reports on new cloud and virtualization technologies to enhance capabilities of cloud-based and virtualized services.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Analyzes and verifies all project, initiative and ad hoc requests for the use in a Development, QA and Production environment for technical accuracy.
- Supports new system releases & upgrades, lease replacement, hardware upgrades, Disaster Recovery, and datacenter relocation/migrations. This also includes:
- Recommendations for firmware/software levels to support existing hardware base.
- Assists in the production and maintenance of documentation of the compute and storage systems for data center environments, including as-built documentation, capacity/performance plans, as well as all other areas of storage system life-cycle planning.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and managing incident resolution with direct vendor support when needed.
- Actively engages with other Administrators, Lead Systems Engineer for Storage / SAN, DBA team members and all other Lead Systems Engineers assigned to projects as necessary.
- Supports provisioning of storage assets including the SAN fabric zoning including the ability to work across our VMware based environment to fulfill tasks.
- Provide 24x7 on-call support during on-call rotation.
- May also provide systems engineering activities such as: Concept of Operations, Requirements Definition, Analysis and Engineering, System Architecting, System Analysis and Design, Interface and Data Architectures, Validation and Verification, System Integration, System & Operations Performance Analysis, Lifecycle Cost Analysis & Estimation, Decision Analysis and Physical Configuration Analysis (PCA).
Bachelors and 5+ years or more experience; Masters and 3+ years or more experience.
- General administrative systems experience with a experience performing operations and maintenance in enterprise level IT environments.
- Current, up to date VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification
- Experience participating in an operations role in large data center is required.
- Recent experience participating in a VMware server virtualization role. Candidate should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge in engineering design and operational application in the following areas:
- VMware vSphere-, vCenter-, and ESX- based server virtualization
- VMWare Cloud Foundation (vCF) or VMWare Validated Design (VVD)
- vRealize Orchestrator (vRO) and vRealize Automation (vRA)
- Hyper-converged and converged infrastructure and their management (Dell and Cisco UCS preferred)
- Dell EMC & NetApp storage and their management
- Network sub-systems, including TCP/IP and load-balancing technology
- Security sub-systems, including firewalls & proxy devices
- MS Windows Server 2012+
- Red Hat Linux 7.0+
- The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of staff and management
- Ability to estimate level of effort
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, develop relationships, and obtain consensus among interested parties
- Ability to develop peer networks across an enterprise to maintain technology awareness and to support resolution of problems
- Ability to operate across traditional technical boundaries, comfortable working in the compute space as well as the storage space in an operational capacity.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Systems engineering certification, or 4 additional years of related engineer experience is preferred.
- Sound understanding of and experience with VMWare Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) concepts and implementation.
- Understanding and build knowledge of infrastructure solutions for hybrid cloud platforms involving On-Prem private cloud integrating with government cloud computing environments.
- CompTIA Network +, or CCNA a plus.
- Experience with Azure and AWS public/government clouds. Certifications a plus.
- Should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of vRealize Automation in an enterprise environment.
- Should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge in architectural design and operational application in the following areas at the PROFICIENT level:
- EMC storage technologies, including VNX and VMAX
- NetApp storage technologies
- Storage area network (SAN) switching fabric products
- Cisco SAN switching fabric products
- Configuration, optimization, capacity planning, and troubleshooting of storage systems
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
Target salary range: $100,001 - $125,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.