We have an opportunity to develop a LEO constellation of communication satellites to support the warfighter for communications and situational awareness.
As Lead Communications Payload Engineer, you will be leading a team of Embedded System Engineers charged with the development of next-generation network satellite payloads. You will need to have experience in the design, integration, interoperability testing, and production of satellite RF & optical communication payloads, preferably for small satellites and using software-defined systems.
Excellent collaboration and leadership skills along with a positive attitude are critical..
Manage a team of subject matter experts (SME) to support the system engineering of communication mission payloads, with a working knowledge of optical, Ka-band, Link-16, and/or BMC3 modules leveraging your space communication payload technical expertise.
Assess payload developer progress. Provide technical review of payload development and integration activities.
Provide detailed reports of progress with technical evaluation of risk and impact.
Identify and elevate technical and programmatic challenges. Prepare and update plan of action and milestones to resolve payload integration testing issues.
Communicate scheduled verification and interoperability test events to your team and support formal testing and review of verification and test data.
Lead system-level impact assessment of payload performances
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline and minimum 10 years of related experience or a Master's and 5 years related experience.
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Ability to obtain Secret level and potentially higher U.S. Government security clearance
- The following skillset is expected for this position: Expertise in digital communications, antenna and RF design, optical communications, antenna design, manufacturing and testing, satellites system networking.
- Effective interpersonal and team-building skills, to engage at both the engineers and management levels to build confidence and collaboration.
- Early stage design, specification and testing/verification of spacecraft communications payloads and their associated ground segment for the end users and ground stations.
- Maintain payload requirements, activity schedule, budget, and status
- Be able to review CAD, manufacturing drawings, specifications, and other documentation
- Ensure interfaces are clearly defined and overall system performance requirements are met.
- Experience coordinating engineering disciplines in resolving system-level issues, understanding system-to-system interfaces, and serving as a proactive troubleshooter.
- Experience working with relevant space industry standards and quality environments.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
Target salary range: $125,001 - $150,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.