This position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to support NASA’s Advanced Exploration Systems (AES) program. You will apply your knowledge and expertise of system safety requirements, processes, tools and products to develop mission level safety analyses of NASA human spaceflight missions. You will be responsible for ensuring the integrated mission design and proposed operations comply with all applicable Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) requirements, and that all flight safety risks have been identified, characterized and mitigated to an acceptable level to support certification of flight readiness. Some travel to vendors, prime contractor sites, and/or vehicle processing centers may be required. Specific tasks include:
- Evaluation of integrated system architecture and concept of operations for compliance to NASA Safety and Mission Assurance requirements
- Development of integrated, mission level hazard and crew survival analysis including development of hazard cause trees, identification of potential integrated hazards, hazard causes, hazard controls and verifications
- Development of mission level crew survival analysis to identify specific system capabilities and contingency operations which could be used to mitigate loss of crew risk in the event of a catastrophic hazard
- Evaluation of changes to requirements, system designs and planned operations for potential impacts to flight safety and mission success
- Evaluation of prime contractor processes and products including hazard analysis, failure modes and effects analysis, design verification analysis, reliability and maintainability analysis, limited life item time/cycle tracking reports, hardware qualification and acceptance test reports
- Identify, characterize and provide recommendations regarding mitigation of safety and mission assurance risks to senior management
- Participate in mission level trade studies to identify and quantify S&MA impacts associated with proposed options / alternatives under consideration
- Participation in failure analysis and problem resolution
- Collect and analyze data for risk assessments and reliability and maintainability reports
Must be a US citizen and able to pass a public trust security clearance.
EDUCATION: BS in Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other science degree.
- Minimum 15 years related experience
- Knowledge of Safety and Mission Assurance requirements, processes, tools and products, including qualitative and quantitative techniques for characterizing risks
- Experience performing system safety analyses (hazard analysis, crew survival analysis) of complex systems / operations
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- High degree of technical excellence, integrity, and self-initiative
- Ability to work effectively across multiple organizations / stakeholders and within a teaming environment to get results
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches, and propose innovative solutions to technical problems
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Power Point, Excel)
- Experience performing root cause analysis and development of fault trees to support anomaly / non-conformance investigations.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.