Job Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Optics Engineer Research, design, analyze, build, integrate, and test optical systems, leveraging expertise in different optical approaches, algorithms, requirements, and dependencies.
- Analyze the development of facial recognition capture requirements from operational requirements, such as jitter, camera requirements, illumination, size, weight, prime power, and cooling.
- Research applicable technologies, analyze the development of plans, and the building and integration of optical solutions, including optics mountings, sensors, sensor mounts, and optical benches.
- Design, develop, test, and document internal and external interfaces and evaluate options to achieve requirements, including operating in stressing environments, survivability, maintainability, reliability, and operability. As needed, conduct jitter, finite element, stress or strain, and packaging analysis and design issue resolution.
- Assist with component or material selection and predictions of environmental effects on materials and structures based on developing requirements and designing opto-mechanical layouts for all optical components from concept to hardware.
- Develop and apply advanced optical engineering design methods, theories, and research techniques to investigate and solve complex and advanced problems.
- Interacts with device, hardware, and software design teams to assist in the overall development of optical systems; specifying, selecting, and qualifying an active and passive optical component, developing and benchmarking system performance models, developing and implementing test procedures, and/or evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- 5+ years of experience with optical systems development, analysis, test and evaluation (T&E), and installation to include optical (e.g, cameras, polarizer, illumination, filters, and auto-zoom lenses).
- Experience with image processing for object detection, recognition, identification, and tracking
- Experience with optical test equipment including power meters, photo-diodes, detectors, interferometers, or beam profilers
- Experience in analyzing the effectiveness of laser interactions with materials and components, laser propagation theory, and experimentation, including modeling and characterizations of laser performance in relevant military environments and ranges
- Interfacing with customers and company product engineering team and marketing team · Innovating new optical computation methods and develop a commercial tool with computing languages
- Programming experience in C++, C. is preferred.
- Experience with scripting languages such or Python desired.
- Establishes requirements for highly complex Optical design projects and may lead a team responsible for establishing requirements.
- Ensure correct features are incorporated first in the projects. Ensures correct features are included first in the projects
- Architects and designs highly complex Optical design projects.
- Completes all phases of the projects. Follows through on all in-process and final inspection activities
- Creates new programs, technologies, and solutions based on novel or unique ideas.
- Ensures new concepts and methodologies are documented for use by the team
- Uses status as a knowledge leader in optical design and functional knowledge across multiple engineering disciplines and program management to provide technical leadership to a given program
- Defines requirements for and may design complex new tools to aid in the analysis and solving of complex problems
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree, Masters or Ph.D. in Optical Engineer, Physics, and applied mathematics is required.
- Ph.D. is preferred.
- U.S. Citizenship Requirement
- Must be eligible to obtain CBP Public Trust or currently has a CBP Public Trust
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.