SAIC is seeking a Submarine Systems Technical Writer II to support the US Navy in Crane, IN.
The Crane, IN office has need of technical writing support to prepare, review, revise, and maintain technical documentation that incorporates information and data from Program Office, customers, In-Service Engineer Agents (ISEAs), task lead, end users, and other departments. This position requires experience with submarine systems to include but not limited to fire control systems, target systems, navigation and launch systems. Candidates should also have maintenance experience on these submarine systems.
NOTE: This is primarily a remote/telework/work from home position with periodic onsite visits with customers/staff at our Crane, IN location. Travel is up to 25% of the time.
- Developing high-quality documentation with minimal guidance that is coherent and easy to follow, as well as complies with corresponding standard, style guide, and/or directive and meets the customers and end user's needs. Documentation includes but is not limited to technical manuals and ordnance directives.
- Researching, collecting, analyzing, organizing, and preparing technical information and data.
- Manipulating graphics, charts, diagrams, etc. to be included in documentation.
- Editing and reviewing rough drafts for format, clarity, and adherence to editorial and government specifications.
- Ensuring technical content is accurate, easy to understand, and consistent.
- Immediately communicating obstacles or issues to leadership.
- Interfacing with technical writers, multimedia personnel, ISEAs, customers, and experienced government team.
- Performing clerical/administrative duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND CLEARANCE:
- HS/GED and seven (7) years’ experience; OR Associates and five (5) years’ experience; OR Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of related experience.
- Computer experience is desired but not a requirement to be considered. On the job training can be provided for candidates with submarine missile systems experience.
- Experience with DOD industry.
- Experience with MIL-STDs and GPO Style Manual.
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively collaborate with a variety of teams and interested parties.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, demonstrating initiative and organization.
- Ability to multitask and work with strict deadlines/timeframes.
- Capable of managing several different tasks from various requestors.
- Capable of understanding, interpreting, and synthesizing engineering drawings, technical information from engineering documentation, consultations with ISEAs, and other available sources.
- Possess attention to detail and ability to edit documents for technical accuracy.
- Ability to make recommendations and answer questions to customers.
- Work overtime at approximately 20%.
- Proficient with Microsoft products to include: Teams, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new software.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen.
- Must be able to obtain a Full DoD Secret Security Clearance.
- Experience interfacing with the Strategic Systems Program Office and missile OEMs is desired.
- Proficient in desktop publishing with abilities to create and update tables, to manipulate graphics and drawings, to create and update flow charts, and to format/layout text
- Experience with xml schema and development of xml files and scripts.
- Experience with Adobe products to include: Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat.
- Experience with Microsoft Project, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Experience with NAVSEA style manuals and specifications.
- Experience with iPDM.
- Experience with S1000D.
- Experience with Arbortext.
- Experience with VULCAN.
- Experience with provisioning data.
- Experience with configuration management.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Customer site vaccination requirements, if more strict, will take precedence over SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.