SAIC is seeking a Spacecraft Mechanical Engineer. This position is located in Chantilly, VA and requires a TS/SCI clearance with Polygraph.
In this role, you will be an integral participant in spacecraft mechanical requirements development, design analysis, and verification. Key areas of focus include structural analysis, structural dynamics, spacecraft test, spacecraft deployments, moving mechanical assemblies, propulsion, and spacecraft transportation.
Job duties include:
- Support the customer in the oversight of the mechanical design, integration and test of spacecraft bus
- Provide expert advice/analysis on accommodation considerations for new satellite/payload developments
- Review and coordinate on all changes to specifications, lCDs and system level requirements documentation including the mechanical accommodation of payloads onto the satellite bus
- Review spacecraft mechanical manufacturing specifications for accuracy and ensure requirement allocation documentation is complete and accurate
- Review drawings, documents and procedures for design, manufacturing and integration, and provide comments to the contractor and/or government
- Track development issues, significant accomplishments and upcoming events and provide weekly status updates to the customer
- Attend mechanical system level design reviews, and program management reviews to assess design maturity, requirements compliance and to provide informed technical recommendations to the USG
- ldentify and assess emerging risks; develop and evaluate proposed burn-down plans
- Review prime contractor readiness to proceed into spacecraft manufacturing and test
- Support factory integration and test activities, as required
- Provide support to launch and satellite on-orbit test
- Attend branch meetings as appropriate at the request of the customer to coordinate support activities Provide technical evaluation of accommodation efforts in contractor Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs)
- Attend contractor milestone reviews (e.g. PDR, CDR, pre-test, pre- ship and other meetings) to provide technically based recommendations regarding satisfaction of review entrance and exit criteria
- Develop productive relationships with prime contractor counterparts, functional counterparts, and other spacecraft subsystem subject matter experts
- Advise and mentor USG spacecraft mechanical subsystem lead and other Vehicle Engineering Branch personnel regarding mechanical subsystem design elements
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience
- Active TS/SCI with Polygraph
- Experience in the design & integration of satellite buses
- Knowledgeable of launch & flight operations of space vehicles
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Customer site vaccination requirements, if more strict, will take precedence over SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.