SAIC has an opening for an Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer.
Under the direction of the Director Facilities and EH&S, this corporate functional organization position shares joint responsibility for the development, maintenance, and implementation of SAIC’s environmental, health and safety program throughout the enterprise. The candidate will be responsible for developing, managing, and supporting implementation of a broad range of programmatic elements for assigned locations as well as providing enterprise wide support.
Principal responsibilities and elements of the position include the following:
- Anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of EH&S related hazards, compliance challenges, etc., and the recommendation and implementation of solutions to mitigate risk and meet program and/or enterprise level strategic objectives or obligations.
- Position is part of a small geographically separated corporate functional EH&S team and is relied upon to work in a self-initiated and highly independent fashion in not only determining, but in executing both short term and long term goals and objectives necessary to support a significant portion of the company’s locations and high emphasis programs operating at both company and customer locations alike.
- Prioritization of job duties and assignments depending upon evolving location and enterprise needs.
- Work is often performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Postulates, derives, develops, or derives consensus built ideas and technical solutions to EH&S needs and regulatory or compliance challenges to enable effective risk mitigation, promotion of a safe and healthful work environment, and avoidance of potential negative risks or impacts to the company, its employees, or operating environments.
- Ability to analyze current, pending, or developing laws and regulations to identify potential impacts or concerns and to effectively summarize and communicate same.
- Develop and implement strategic initiatives that drive continuous programmatic improvement.
- Interacts with all organizational levels including program and senior management, technical personnel, internal and external customers, and various external regulatory agency personnel to arrive at, define, and socialize consensus supported best value solutions to address strategic objectives and/or discrete regulatory compliance challenges or alleged violations.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, industrial hygiene, environmental engineering, or related discipline and 9 years of more of related experience; Master’s degree in safety, industrial hygiene, environmental engineering, or related discipline and 7 or more years of related experience.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and regulations related to environmental, health, safety, transportation, and related programmatic areas.
- CHMM, CSP, or CIH professional certification
- Advanced knowledge in a broad range of EH&S technical areas (e.g., hazard recognition, evaluation and control, hazardous materials and waste, incident investigation, respiratory protection, fall protection, equipment de-energization, multi-media environmental registration and permitting, motor carrier operations, training, hazardous materials transportation, etc.) as evidenced by prior experience and attainment of professional training or certifications.
- Solutions oriented with strong analytical and written and verbal communication skills.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.