SAIC is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer for the Robot Electronics Unit (REU) on the OMES II contract in support of the On-Orbit Servicing Assembly and Manufacturing OSAM-1 program NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects (NExIS) division. This position is located at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD.
OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test, and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will support the OSAM-1 REU team. The OSAM-1 REU subsystem provides the electrical integration and test of the robot electronics. Specifically, support in the analysis, design, assembly and testing of Parts Control Board (PCB)s through flight verification.
Job duties include:
- Contribute to the electrical design, test, and integration of hardware to multiple testbeds.
- Responsible for developing, designing, documenting, releasing, and testing of testbed hardware requirements within the program’s schedule, budget, and technical requirements.
- Work with subsystem leads and responsible engineers to identify hardware requirements on the various subsystems and make recommendations for hardware needs within the subsystems and at the mission system level.
- Manage conceptual design, trade studies, drawing generation, documentation release, and testing requirements.
- Responsible for hardware through the full product life cycle (design, fabrication, debug, integration, test, and maintenance support).
- Incorporate engineering change notices and feedback into the iterative processes for design changes.
- Coordinate manufacturing of hardware and harnesses with onsite fabrication resources and offsite vendors.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or closely related field with 10+ years of related experience.
- Experience in analysis, design, documentation, assembly, and test of PCBs.
- Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and systems engineering, preferably at NASA or in aerospace.
- Experience in testing and writing automated tests, test development, managing test runs, tracking test results, troubleshooting, and measuring progress.
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems using various types of test equipment.
- Experience in executing tests, including functional testing (front-end, back-end, and performance testing).
- Experienced at authoring and maintaining project documentation.
- Strong proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule.
- Proficiency in advising management, inside and outside own organization, on system architecture, technical results, or risks.
- Ability to obtain and maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*).
- English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain the certification.
- OrCAD, AutoCAD, PSpice, Labview, and Visio software experience.
- Experience using test equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies and Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) racks.
- Ability to assess design requirements to generate a design and documentation using standard industry tools/programs.
- Familiar with design of electrical interconnects for spacecraft.
- Demonstrated ability to develop requirements, design documents and test plans that comply to higher-level specifications.
- Demonstrated understanding of the applicable engineering and manufacturing knowledge required for product design and testing. Exercises engineering judgment in developing appropriate decisions considering decision criteria, implications, and possible consequences, to ensure product design integrity.
- Knowledge of various engineering disciplines such as electrical, mechanical, and systems. The ability to communicate with technical personnel from multiple skill areas and functions to evaluate technical information and issues impacting design, production, and support of products, services, or other deliverables.
- Must have experience working with program requirements, equipment performance specs, wire connection lists, schematics, wire gauge sizing, connector selection and related cabling , harnessing documentation, and grounding schemes.
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) considerations with respect to electrical design.
- Familiarity with MIL standards and requirements, NASA standards and requirements, AS9100 or ISO 9001.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing-project planning, scheduling, resource management, materials ordering, inventory management, and quality functions.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Must be capable of functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple systems.
- Must be well organized and possess excellent communication skills.
- Able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to issues and questions.
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction.
- Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Where work is performed strictly at a customer site, customer site vaccination requirements preempt SAIC's vaccination policy.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.