SAIC delivers innovative solutions to critical challenges facing the nation and the world. As a premier provider of integrated services to the U.S. government, we support the Department of Defense (DoD), intelligence community, space communities, federal civilian agencies, and international customers. We are always looking for bright and driven people who have a passion for taking on challenges and helping others. If you are interested in fulfilling work, being part of a diverse team, and solving complex problems through technology, business intelligence, and analytics, then SAIC is right for you!
SAIC is seeking a Systems Engineer with a background in directed energy to join our team supporting the Principal Director (PD) of the directed energy modernization area at the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense, Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)). The qualified candidate will provide extensive research, technical assessments, and policy recommendations, on existing and emerging technologies critical to the United States maintaining superior military capabilities. Work will be performed primarily at SAIC (nearest to Rosslyn Metro station) in Arlington, VA but may include meetings at the Pentagon building and Mark Center in Alexandria, VA. Travel will be required, less than 10% of the time, predominantly within the continental United States.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide technical recommendations and analysis for the Director of Technology Manufacturing Innovation Base (TMIB) responsible for conducting assessments of United States technical, development, manufacturing, and supply-chain ecosystems, and for creating future strategies and investment plans to maintain United States military and technological superiority
- Create and maintain an enduring set of deliverables and assessments required to field capabilities, including long-term technology development, industrial and innovation base production, critical DoD technology needs, increased opportunity for non-traditional supplier partnerships, and supply chain illumination for technology priorities, capacity, and maturity of the U.S. industrial base related to directed energy (i.e. high-powered microwave devices, high energy lasers, and particle beams), and for associated technology, including tiered and sub-tiered supplier bases, and their ability to develop, deliver, and evolve enabling technologies, materials, and components to field cutting-edge advancements in the directed energy technology priority area
- Facilitate assessments of the confluence of technology concerns, business concerns, foreign involvement, and how that involvement might affect DoD modernization priorities, warfighting capabilities, technology advantage, and associated RDT&E investments, or otherwise compromise national security
- Identify activities and investments on the part of the DoD, its industry partners, and the extended global technology base to improve DoD’s abilities to develop, build, and field the system and mission capabilities it needs to retain military advantage and support U.S. interests
- Provide recommendations to mitigate foreign ownership, control, influence, cyber penetration, and other exploitation threats to the US technology and manufacturing industrial base; protect and promote the industrial base through reviewing cases related to Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and other related export control activities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline or related science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) field and nine (9) years of experience; Masters degree and seven (7) years of experience.
- Knowledge of the DoD acquisition processes, policies, and guidance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Active Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility
- Master’s degree in engineering discipline or related science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) field
- Knowledge of Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) organizational structures, functions, and communication protocol
- Knowledge of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), OUSD(R&E), OUSD(A&S)/Industrial Policy, Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA), export controls, intelligence, counterintelligence and law enforcement organizations, interagency partners like DoC and DoS, and relevant policies, procedures, tools, and support services
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.