SAIC is seeking a Software Engineer to support the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)) Prototype and Experiments (P&E). P&E’s mission is to identify, develop, and demonstrate forward-looking concepts encompassing multi-domain technologies to satisfy Multi-Service and Combatant Command priorities for the Department of Defense. Focus areas include: seeking to explore opportunities through the use of rigorous prototyping and experimentation, engaging the Interagency, International, and non-governmental partners to expand the Department of Defense's access to innovation spawning from government, academia, and industry, all essential for warfighting success, and providing engineering expertise to support OUSD(R&E) modernization priorities.
- Assess user and system requirements and determine the best overall system architecture.
- Assist in the design of the overall system, including formulating system specifications in accordance with applicable standards, working with the software engineering team to ensure that user requirements and specifications are met in the design of software systems.
- Design, code, install, and maintain systems, establish test requirements and plans, and execute testing to verify system design and performance; ensure system maintenance and maintain adequate software systems documentation.
- Prepare software system architectures and models to specify detailed operations to be performed by computer software.
- Assess program requirements, performance of software engineering teams, and program execution using an agile approach.
- Prepare and deliver executive level decision briefs, develop courses of action for short- and long-range implementation and administration of strategic objectives.
Education & Experience
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience
- Experience interfacing with Joint Staff, Services, and warfighters to coordinate engineering and analysis needs and analytic results
- Military or OSD experience
- Understanding of knowledge and/or program management best practices
- Experience in/familiarity with diverse modern software development methodologies (DevOps, Agile, etc.)
- Knowledge of test-driven development
- Experience in/familiarity with automation of software development and delivery processes and use of CI/CD pipelines.
- Knowledge of coding standards, software and cybersecurity best practices.
- Experience in/familiarity with cloud native applications and microservices.
- Advanced knowledge of database technology (e.g. SQL, No SQL, etc.)
- Active TS/SCI level clearance
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.