SAIC is seeking a Spacecraft Engineer SME to be responsible for a Systems Integration role as it relates to spacecraft concepts of operation, integrating design requirements into a Systems Architecture, evaluating capabilities and interfaces through the entire project and program life cycle for an exciting and innovative complex space and ground effort.
The successful candidate will work both independently and in a team based environment interfacing with the Space Segment provider and Ground Segment provider to ensure spacecraft are designed to successfully integrate into the system architecture while meeting customer mission objectives. Oversight includes analysis at the component and subsystem levels and overall spacecraft manufacturing, integration, and test. Duties may adjust as the spacecraft progresses through design, development, integration, and test towards launch.
This position requires an active TS and is located in Chantilly, VA.
Perform other duties as assigned to include:
- Work in an interactive team environment with Government customer leads, spacecraft developers, and other subject matter experts.
- Apply engineering knowledge to support manufacturing, integration, and test of data handling and storage, primary communications, S-band communications, and communications security systems, subsystems, and components.
- Confirm requirements verification by evaluating unit, subsystem, and vehicle performance and environmental test data, analysis, and inspection results.
- Assess spacecraft subsystem technical performance within cost and schedule constraints. Identify risks to program plans and schedules, and support development of corrective action plans.
- Participate in Failure Review Boards (FRBs) to troubleshoot and resolve anomalies and test failures. Develop mitigation plans and identify impacts to subsystems and spacecraft performance.
- Assist in requirements development, and support requirements flow-down and traceability. Assist with ensuring compliance to interfaces and standards, or ensure appropriate deviations/waivers are in place.
- Evaluate system, subsystem and unit level design, as necessary, to determine if the design is both adequate to meet program requirements and cost effective.
- Provide analysis support of mechanical, thermal, environmental, acoustic, shock, propulsion, mass properties, structural loads, stress, deployment, alignment, reliability, and mission assurance, to verify the satellite design will satisfy the system requirements.
- Assist in preparation of RFP documentation (SOWs, CDRLs and specifications) and conduct ECP technical evaluations.
- Apprise management and all program stakeholders of risk and issues early enough to be addressed
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and eigtheen (18) years or more experience; Masters and sixteen (16) years or more experience; PhD or JD and fifteen years or more experience
Required Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- BS in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering, or similar technical discipline
- 5 or more years of engineering experience with satellite bus systems (communications systems, communications security, data handling, data storage)
- Experience working in a spacecraft system program office (SPO) or a satellite development facility
- Strong background and experience with LEO spacecraft concepts, designs, capabilities, interfaces
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to think-on-your-feet, adapt as situations change and make the best possible decisions with the information at hand
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
Desired Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- MS in Engineering
- Experience with multiple spacecraft programs and a variety of satellite busses
- Experience with early life-cycle satellite engineering activities/milestones, spacecraft integration and test, and Launch and Initialization (L&I) activities
- Specific IC Customer experience
- Current TS clearance with willingness and ability to upgrade
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.