SAIC is seeking an Internal Controls Manager to join the company’s Internal Controls department, which reports to the Office of Business Conduct & Excellence (OBC&E). This position will allow remote work options. SAIC is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets.
The Internal Controls department supports SAIC’s mission through supporting two key areas of the company’s compliance: management and oversight of the company’s Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) program and its Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) business systems compliance program. SAIC’s Internal Controls Manager will report to the Director, and play a key role by leading various aspects of the SOX and DFARS compliance programs. The Internal Controls department works closely with the internal and external auditors, and various functions across the company to maintain the company’s frameworks of controls, administer testing programs, and develop new processes or work on process improvements to meet changing needs of the company.
SOX and DFARS compliance efforts are top priorities of the company, and so this role will provide subject matter expertise and corresponding training of process and control best practices to support timely risk assessment, control identification, and corresponding documentation. The position provides great opportunity to interface with leaders across SAIC, and as part of continuous improvement, the Internal Controls Manager will play a key role in assisting our leaders and process owners in identifying areas for improvement. As part of the OBCE, this position may also contribute to other enterprise risk and/or finance initiatives outside of the SOX and DFARS compliance programs.
The Internal Controls Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Lead and execute aspects of the annual financial statement and fraud risk assessments, including risk evaluation identification due to changes in the business or operating environment.
- Identifying risks associated with the relevant financial statement assertions for all in scope accounts, financial statement line items, and disclosures.
- Managing and performing various quarterly duties relevant to management’s SOX program, such as execution of the SOX 302 certification process, ongoing control updates based on input from control owners, and assessing implications of management’s self-reported observations issues related to internal control.
- Coordinating and leading teams of functional leaders and process owners to make joint decisions on the design and implementation of control remediation plans.
- Planning, coordinating, and participating in walkthroughs of processes and controls.
- Working with external auditors to present finding on issues or questions raised, and support document requests, as needed.
- Collaborating with the IT SOX Manager as needed between business processes and IT general controls, such as for application controls, system configuration, critical interfaces and jobs, and system implementations.
- Performing readiness assessments and/or testing for newly implemented and/or “in scope” SOX systems or acquired entities systems.
- Working with various OBC&E compliance and/or Finance functions to support process improvement or other initiatives as needed.
- Manage the company’s evaluation of third party service providers' SOC 1 reports by aiding relationship owners in the review of the reports and identification of relevant complimentary user entity controls.
- Evaluating audit findings from the DCAA and DCMA, external audit, and Internal Audit for control deficiencies and the related severity.
- Supporting the DFARS business systems compliance program through:
- Evaluation of the DFARS business system requirements compared to existing controls activities to assess for gaps.
- Assistance with the company’s self-assessment program by reviewing and updating audit programs, performing testing, and/or reviewing testing results.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in accounting or related field, required.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, with increasing responsibilities in financial reporting, external or internal auditing, and/or SOX programs.
- Public accounting firm audit experience; consulting firm experience specializing in audit, assurance, and/or control services; and/or public company SOX experience, strongly preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), strongly preferred.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), a plus.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong working knowledge of SOX 302 and 404 requirements, U.S. GAAP, SSAE 18 requirements, and the COSO Internal Control – Integrated Framework.
- Knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
- Industry knowledge of financial and accounting processes relevant to federal government contracting and/ or technology services, a plus.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, communicate, and assist management in meeting the regulatory requirements of SOX and standards set by PCAOB and DFARS requirements.
- General understanding and familiarity of information technology systems related to financial reporting, including layers (applications/ databases/ operating systems), terminology, and general controls.
- Excellent written and oral communication, problem solving, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to apply judgment to provide efficient and effective solutions.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a cross-functional team with professionals at all levels throughout the company.
- Excellent project management skills, including:
- Being proactive,
- Taking ownership and responsibility,
- Awareness of deadlines, with appropriate prioritization when managing multiple task.
- Achieving objectives within defined parameters.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.