SAIC is providing key design, installation, and research support to facilitate a successful implementation of a multilevel security (MLS) system meant to allow greater collaboration between various government networks. This project is on the forefront of new technologies and concepts, and SAIC will design, build, and test systems meant to challenge the existing paradigm of the USAF enterprise network architecture.
The Senior Network Engineer position will act as a research and experimentation role to test out different MLS and Zero Trust (ZT) technologies, tools, and architectures as alternatives to the customer’s chosen designs. This position will be part of a highly technical team in order to research, experiment, and report on commercially available MLS and ZT alternatives.
- Explore, analyze and report on applications, alternative ZT and MLS solutions or other areas for improvement to the customer’s baseline.
- Demonstrate suitability of the customer’s IT environment by exploring specific improvements.
- Collaborate with the team to capture best practices to develop software including development of ZT architectures and MLS capable/aware applications.
- Compare current system capabilities to proposed ZT enablers and create a technical suitability matrix to highlight the potential benefits of adoption of new methodologies, architectural changes, and software security tools to enable ZT architectures.
- Examine existing ZT tools/technologies/architectures and recommend enhancements.
- Assess ZT implementation in an objective network, and assess ZT components.
- Using the DoD Cybersecurity Architecture Review (DoDCAR) process, NIST SP 800-207, MITRE ATT&CK framework, and industry best practices, analyze and identify the thread gaps and the resulting changes to explore enhancements to the customer’s MLS and ZTA solution.
- Explore, analyze, and report on applications as well as complementary and alternative MLS and ZT solutions, and identify other areas for improvement in the customer’s baseline.
- Perform gap and trade-off analyses to weigh the potential benefits of integrating the proposed changes and outline relative risk and benefit to community of interest operations.
- Develop a test schedule and test criteria for viable MLS and ZT alternatives.
- Execute testing on MLS and ZT alternatives IAW the developed test plan and criteria.
- Analyzes system designs for risks to data confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience.
- 5 years of network engineering experience
- At least 2 years of experience with virtualization platforms
- DoD 8570 IAT Level 2 Certification, such as Security+ CE or CCNA Security
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure and network infrastructure protocols
- Solid understanding of ZT tenets as detailed in NIST SP 800-207.
- Experience in developing test plans and criteria for commercial products.
- Able to rapidly research and experiment on relevant commercial solutions in a lab environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Responsive and reliable.
Preferred Experience, Education, and Certifications:
- Experience and familiarity in available commercial solutions enabling MLS and/or incorporating ZT tenets.
- Familiarity with cloud architectures and solutions such as but not limited to AWS or Azure.
- Familiarity with Cloud One, Platform One, or FENCES.
- Familiarity with DoDCAR process and MITRE ATT&CK framework
- One or more active certifications in the following:
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
Target salary range: $100,001 - $125,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.