SAIC is seeking a Contamination Control Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 program in NASA’s Exploration and In-space Services Division (NExIS) at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will support the contamination engineering team on OSAM-1 to ensure compliance with relevant contamination engineering requirements. This includes implementing contamination controls for spacecraft, instruments, and associated hardware at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC).
The contamination engineer will:
- Monitor, review, facilitate and evaluate contamination control requirements, planning, implementation, and verification
- Work with all OSAM-1 subsystems and disciplines to identify contamination sensitivities, develop appropriate risk-based contamination requirements, negotiate project acceptance of requirements, and manage/facilitate implementation of the contamination control program
- Perform detailed contamination analyses
- Troubleshoot and solve contamination problems encountered during design, fabrication, assembly, test, and transportation of space hardware
- Work on-site at NASA GSFC
- Support will include working on 30-foot scaffolding and on 10-foot platforms or cherry pickers
- Engineer is required to follow all GSFC Covid-19 protocols while working on center
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, chemistry, materials science, or closely related field with 3+ years of related experience
- Experience with contamination control engineering for spaceflight applications including complex and delicate mechanism, remote sensors and lidar
- Experience modeling contamination transport and interaction with space environments – e.g, vacuum, charged particles, electromagnetic radiation, thermal, atomic oxygen, etc.
- Experience determining contamination sensitivities and deriving contamination requirements based on instrument/system performance requirements
- Experience implementing contamination controls in the design, integration and assembly, environmental test and launch program phases
- Experience with clean room operations (classes 5 thru 8 per ISO-14644-1), materials, processes, coatings, outgassing, off-gassing, vacuum systems, and hardware cleaning and inspection methods
- Experience specifying parameters for and interpreting results of tests conducted per ASTM E1559, Standard Test Method for Contamination Outgassing Characteristics of Spacecraft Materials
- Experience specifying the necessary contamination controls and monitors (QCM, RGA, cold finger, ion gages, etc.) to prevent contamination incidents during thermal vacuum tests and to verify hardware outgassing levels meet those specified in the contamination control plan
- Hands-on experience cleaning and inspecting flight hardware especially optics
- Experience with defining, implementing, and verifying surface cleanliness requirements per IEST-STD-1246
- Experience developing contamination budgets
- Experience with specifying contamination requirements for launch vehicles and launch-site contamination control
- Must be able and willing to work on site full-time at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Must be able to support work outside “core” hours such as to facilitate flight hardware integration and testing campaigns
- Must have excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work well with a highly diverse and interdisciplinary team
- Ability to obtain and maintain NASA certifications, including but not limited to:
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain the certification
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA contamination and hazardous waste certifications
- Prior work experience at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.