SAIC is seeking an experienced Sr. Quality Engineer to provide quality assurance oversight support to the Safety and Mission Assurance (SMAS-II) contract at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The chosen candidate will work in the integration and test facility on an instrument being built locally at GSFC. This position supports the implementation of Mission Assurance Requirements (MAR) during the integration and test of the instrument through independent surveillance, audit, review, and assessment of the full spectrum of mission development activities. Candidate will ensure the project is in compliance with NASA requirements and technical risks are maintained at an acceptable level. The work is primarily performed on space flight hardware.
- Support possible shift work and/or weekend work Integration and Test of instrument during some phases of the project.
- Review key contract deliverables/products and monitor compliance to plan and procedures. Review results/status from the quality audits, corrective actions, and metrics.
- Support Project milestone reviews, peer reviews, and project reviews, providing NASA assurances to requirements and readiness as appropriate.
- Communicate and ensure resolution of all noncompliance issues and/or risks. Support project discrepancy board meetings, tracking discrepancy reports, change requests, and action items throughout integration and test. Provide Quality Engineering inputs to nonconforming product dispositions and corrective actions.
- Provide weekly and monthly reporting to customer, providing additional inputs as needed to assist in customer presentations.
- Support activities including witnessing, handling, receiving inspection, performing or monitoring inspections and tests, reviewing documentation, and coordinating and participating in problem and failure reporting/resolution.
- Witness compliance with various procedures and requirements documents, including contamination control, clean room activities, handling equipment (slings, cranes, hydrosets), hazardous operations, and Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) control.
- Ensure approved drawings and procedures are used.
- Ensure equipment calibration is in compliance with requirements.
- Prepare for (e.g. analyses, presentation materials, and other documentation) and participate in Material Review Boards (MRB), Configuration Control Boards (CCB), Failure Review Boards (FRB), and design reviews.
- Review manufacturing flow plans for adequacy and review operational check points for Mandatory Inspections Points (MIPs).
- Evaluate NASA and NASA supplier facilities for required equipment, processes, personnel, training, and capability for producing quality hardware in compliance with agency and project requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in engineering or other technical field
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, preferably with space hardware and electronics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or other technical field
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Be a self-starter, able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Be pro-active and confident, as well as a team-player who is able to interface with technical and management personnel.
- Candidate may be required to support various operations that require specific training. This training can include courses associated with workmanship, electrostatic discharge, working in confined spaces, scaffolding, or others required to support SMAS operations. Being able to take and pass these courses in a timely manner is a requirement for continued employment.
- Prior hands-on experience with flight hardware and flight electronics inspections is highly desired and will be a big factor in candidate selection.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.