SAIC is seeking a System Safety Engineer to operate out of King Geroge, VA and the surrounding area in support of the US Navy, Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division. This position is part of a team analyzing equipment to identify hazards, categorize risks, and recommend mitigations to reduce the probability/severity of a mishap resulting in injury to personnel, equipment damage, and/or damage to the environment.
This is a Remote / Virtual / Work from Home position, but periodic (up to 2-3 days a week) work at NSWC Dahlgren and/or SAIC are required for this position.
- Collaborate with government personnel, vendors and the user community to ensure the safety of Navy Weapon Systems to include the Battle Management System (BMS)
- Conduct system safety analysis of hardware and software in a variety of US Navy weapons, platforms, and combat systems.
- Prepare/review/update Technical Data Packages and Presentation Materials in support of Safety Review Board Reviews including the Weapon System Explosive Safety Review Board (WSESRB) and Software Systems Safety Technical Review Panel (SSSTRP).
- Review System Requirements documentation to identify potential hazardous conditions and make recommendations to system design in collaboration with program staff.
- Perform operational analysis to identify potential deficiencies in operating procedures, training documentation, maintenance procedures, storage and handling procedures, and/or ordnance handling procedures.
- Make recommendations to resolve deficiencies and make recommendations to test plans to ensure safety requirements are met.
- Assess Engineering Change Proposals (ECPs) and other system change requests to identify/verify safety risks.
- Perform tasks included in MIL-STD-882E.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field ; major in Science, Engineering or a technical related field preferred, or military experience (4 years or more) at E-7 or higher will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- 2+ years of experience with Risk Analysis, System Safety and combat system/engineering experience.
- Experience with the Battle Management System
- Experience with Weapon Control Systems
- Experience employing precision guided munitions from air and surface platforms.
- Experience with griffin or hellfire missiles, small glide munitions and/or 30mm/105mm gun weapons systems.
- Experience conducting System Engineering Analysis, System Safety Analysis, Risk Management and/or Hazard Analysis
- Experience/familiarity with MIL-STD-822E, NAVSEAINST 5100.12, NAVSEAINST 8020.6
- Experience working with US Navy or US Marine Corps combat systems or platforms
- Experience operating, maintaining, testing, or analyzing weapons systems or complex mechanical or software systems especially those mentioned above
- Systems Engineering experience with US Navy or US Marine Corps weapons systems
- Experience preparing technical reports
- Clearance Requirement: A Secret level DoD security clearance is required for this role, but an interim clearance will be acceptable to start. SAIC will assist with processing of the interim clearance, for an eligible candidate.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.