SAIC anticipates a requirement to fill a Systems Sustaining Engineer Lead in support of the Naval Information Warfare Command (NIWC) Pacific, Maritime Global Command and Control System (GCCS) Family of Systems (MGF) Project, and other C2 and/or C4I projects. This work will be performed on-site in San Diego, CA.
This opportunity is contingent upon award in the Fall of 2021.
The Command and Intelligence Systems Division (Code 532) within NIWC Pacific provides systems engineering, software maintenance, integration, test, and life-cycle support for a wide range of Navy, Joint, and National C4I systems. These systems serve to consolidate Command, Control, Intelligence, Imagery, Planning, Coordination and Logistic capabilities to provide an integrated C4I capability to the warfighter.
Job Summary: The Lead Sustainment Engineering duties will encompass leading and performing technical tasks including engineering, logistics investigations and analyses to ensure continued operation and maintenance of a fielded MGF systems and infrastructure. The Lead Sustainment Engineer will lead a team of engineers for support to fleet customers by providing timely data analysis, development, and implementation of engineering changes and tech advisories through approved enterprise processes relative to customer’s service request. The service has a critical success factor to robustly deliver baseline changes through subservices to include Maintenance Engineering, Lifecycle Engineering, Systems Integration, and Software Development and Maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Software Development and Maintenance:
- Monitor, maintain, enhance, and manage all existing engineering business applications and correct defects as they become known. The same software engineering best practices and techniques will be used for application modifications and system upgrades. All data and programming standards shall be used and consistently applied
- Identify risks associated with the upgrade of new software efforts, including extension systems, the analysis and classification of those risks as to severity and likelihood, and the identification of techniques to mitigate the risks.
- Conduct feasibility/cost-benefit studies, requirements analyses, and all other life cycle activities included in the design phase for system maintenance/upgrade, including the use of an object-oriented technology such as the Unified Modeling Language (UML), implementation, and documentation, for the maintenance of systems for long-term use.
- Formulate a business model identifying the proposed (to-be) business processes necessary to improve the efficiency and effectiveness for each application, as necessary.
- Develop “use cases” and determine the prescribed set of “artifacts” for each phase of each development cycle.
- Develop updates to applications (JAVA, C++, etc.) using a service-oriented architecture and web services where applicable
- Develop updates to applications in a multi-platform environment, using object oriented programming, with an understanding of Internet/Intranet architecture.
- Develop updates to software applications as prototypes for evaluation.
- Provide Graphic design for application user interface.
- Conduct usability analysis and assessments.
- Adhere to 508 compliance regulations for all software maintenance update efforts.
- Develop, document, and adhere to effective and appropriate configuration management practices IAW NIWC Pac Configuration Management Plan (CMP).
- Be proficient with Agile development best practices, including, but not limited to SCRUM.
- Assist with the development of business case documents by providing feasibility and high level business requirements analyses for existing systems, or new requests for system update/upgrade cost estimates.
- Provide system engineering support for the operation, maintenance, and upgrade of C4I systems at operational sites.
- Analyze system component software designs against their specifications and requirements and document conformances and variances.
- Establish, refine, and maintain integration procedures.
- Assess system performance and stability.
- Prepare test and evaluation plans, procedures, and analysis approaches for integration of software and hardware updates/upgrades to C2/C4I systems.
- Integrate updated/upgraded software and hardware components into baseline systems and networks, and evaluate the post-integration performance effects.
- Participate in the integration testing of new software and hardware components.
- Analysis of test results and generation of test reports and performance metrics.
- Documentation and submittal of test deficiencies in software trouble report database.
- Develop end-user documentation in accordance with Technical Manual Identification Numbering System (TMINS) criteria.
- Participate in laboratory experiments and operational exercises using operational sensor or scenario-generated data.
- Maintaining documentation (repair standards, drawings, specifications, PMS, ILS, APLs, COSAL, etc.) for technical accuracy and adequacy.
- Maintaining and updating maintenance inspection criteria and procedures for repair and overhaul of systems and equipment.
- Assisting in design reviews and requirements analysis and determining functional specification definitions.
- Evaluating and validating maintenance actions and their frequency including Planned Maintenance System (PMS) and Technical Feedback Reports (TFBRs), and IA compliance (RMF). Also includes the cost of providing and administering warranty management support.
- Also, direct or perform, System concept definitions; Optimization of equipment for better maintainability and availability of equipment; Data storage capacity and performance analyses; Human factors/user interface requirements; Interface requirements and specification design; System design, documentation, drawings, and DODAF artifacts for implementation of upgraded software and/or hardware.
- Collecting and analyzing performance and maintenance data for cognizant Mar C2 CB-ISEA systems. Utilizing established operational and maintenance data reporting systems such as the 3M system, CASREPs, help desk ticketing, supply system tracking, and Failure Reporting Analysis and Corrective Actions System (FRACAS) to track RMA.
- Reporting of performance and maintenance Data to include improvement recommendations and Analyses of Alternatives (AoA) to required stakeholders.
- Improving system RMA through development and implementation of engineering changes and tech advisories.
- Implement system software and hardware upgrades.
- Coordinating web-enablement of existing C2/C4I systems and architectures.
- Continuous support for system hardware and software integration.
- Preparing Information Technology and communications systems hardware technical implementation plans and designs.
- Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience; Four (4) additional years of related experience will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Active Secret clearance
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details.SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.