SAIC is seeking a Senior Therapeutics Scientist to support the Therapeutics Development Team of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA). The selected candidate will provide Advisory and Analysis Services (A&AS) to a government team that executes grants and contracts with academic, biotech, government research organizations, and pharmaceutical partners to develop therapeutic countermeasures for biological warfare and emerging infectious diseases. Special consideration will be given to candidates with experience in Medical Chemistry, Translational Medicine, and IND-enabling studies.
Duties will include:
- Review scientific proposals and provide the US Government (USG) with written and verbal assessments of scientific and technical merit, relevance to DTRA’s goals, and capability of the offeror to perform the proposed research;
- Review scientific progress reports and technical briefs and assist the USG in determining if performers are completing assigned tasks successfully and within the allocated cost and schedule;
- Evaluate and provide expertise on all aspects of therapeutic research and development from target discovery thru to IND-filing, including project design, development, execution, and implementation;
- Provide science and technology support to a multidisciplinary team on a variety of current and emerging biological defense threats
- Assist with preparation of reports and briefings to senior government officials;
- Participate in coordinating interdepartmental activities, workshops, and meetings;
- Assist government staff with drafting critical documents and responding to taskers;
- Prepare and deliver presentations that describe scientific advances and potential application to the Therapeutics Team's portfolio of projects.
- Perform administrative tasks as directed including those related to documenting and reporting the status of projects and the overall portfolio.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors plus fourteen (14) years of experience or Master of Science plus 12 years of experience in one of the following relevant disciplines: medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutical development, pharmacology, toxicology, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, virology, pathology, physiology, biostatistics, Chemistry Manufacturing and Controls (CMC), clinical studies, or similar discipline.
- Knowledge and experience with FDA regulatory requirements for pre-clinical through Phase I clinical trials.
- Experience with conduct of in vitro and in vivo studies to assess safety and efficacy of experimental compounds.
- Excellent communication skills for interacting with USG scientists and non-scientists, customers, interdisciplinary team members, interagency partners, and technical performers.
- Competency with animal models used in drug development and characterization.
- Experience with drug repurposing / FDA label expansion.
- Competency with Medical Chemistry.
- Knowledge of Pharmacokinetics (PK), Pharmacodynamics (PD), and Liberation, Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion (LADME).
- Familiarity with mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance.
- Practical experience and/or detailed understanding of the FDA Animal Rule and associated guidance.
- Familiarity with DOD contracting and acquisition processes.
- Competency with scientific program development and management.
- Experience with writing and evaluating technical proposals.
- Experience working in translational medicine and IND-enabling studies.
- DoD Active/Current Secret Clearance
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.