SAIC is seeking a Servicing Test Lead mid-level engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the servicing test campaign of the OSAM-1 (On-orbit Servicing Assembly and Manufacturing) program in the (NeXIS) Division at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). This position is located in Greenbelt, MD and is temporarily remote due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The OSAM-1 (formerly Restore-L) mission is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Space Vehicle (SV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct SV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. GSFC is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and SV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will support the OSAM-1 Servicing Phase Lead in leading, managing, and executing the system-level tests for servicing. Servicing tests are primarily run in the Servicing Testbed prior to flight integration and test and the SV for flight hardware. Additional testbeds or flight elements may be utilized.
Job duties include:
- Manage, Lead, and Execute System-Level Tests for Servicing.
- Servicing tests are primarily run in the Servicing Testbed prior to flight I&T and the SV for flight hardware. Additional testbeds or flight elements may be utilized.
- Identify requirements to be validated and/or verified during the test.
- Formulate test plans, procedures, and work order authorization documents.
- Coordinate with the OSAM-1 integration and test team to ensure test readiness.
- Prepare and lead test readiness reviews.
- Oversee execution of the tests.
- Lead post-test analysis of test data.
- Generate test reports.
- Assess complex issues and recommend resolution to the team and management; implement resolutions.
- Ensure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with NASA and OSAM-1 standards, project plans, and policies.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in systems, mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering, or closely related field with 7+ years of related experience.
- Understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in engineering of aerospace systems.
- Experience with hardware integration and test, system verification and validation, and/or systems engineering, preferably in the aerospace industry.
- Experience in planning and/or executing tests (e.g. functional, performance, environmental) on components and/or complex systems. Experience in evaluation of test data.
- Experience in authoring and maintaining technical documentation.
- Proficiency in resolving technical and schedule issues in order to ensure that deliverables are met on schedule..
- Ability to obtain/maintain NASA Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) certification (GSFC-SH-ESDCO300 300-PG-8730.6.1A*). English proficiency is required to successfully complete the required training and pass testing (written and/or hands-on) to obtain NASA ESD certification.
- Skilled in working in large teams of multidisciplinary engineers and technicians with different viewpoints and responsibilities. Comfortable working in and encouraging a team-oriented environment. Willingness to work outside of one’s area of technical expertise.
- Skilled in coordinating sharing of resources.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and resolving technical problems with complex technical systems. Skilled at determining corrective action and/or workarounds to such problems.
- Experience in requirements development, validation, and verification.
- Experience in designing tests (of varying scales and fidelity) that help validate a design or verify a set of requirements.
- Experience with technical risk assessment.
- Experience in developing formal test documentation (e.g. plans, procedures, reports), managing test runs, tracking and evaluating test results, and measuring progress.
- Experience in system integration and test of aerospace systems (e.g. spacecraft, flight instruments, launch vehicles).
- Experience handling hardware of varying fidelity and cost (e.g. mockups / breadboards, engineering development units, flight hardware).
- Experience with robotic systems or complex mechanisms.
- Experience with CAD / 3D modeling software (e.g. Windchill, Creo) and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Experience with standard computational software (e.g. Matlab, MathCAD).
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Proficiency in recommending deviations from established policies and procedures.
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction.
- Experience with NASA (or equivalent) mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
- Proficiency in communicating with and adapting to different audiences (e.g. test conductors, technical leads, technical management, project management).
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.