SAIC delivers innovative solutions to critical challenges facing the nation and the world. As a premier provider of integrated services for the U.S. government, we support the Department of Defense (DoD), intelligence community, space communities, federal civilian agencies and international customers. We are always looking for bright and driven people who have a passion for taking on challenges and helping others. If you are interested in fulfilling work, being part of a diverse team, and solving complex problems through technology, business intelligence and analytics, then SAIC is right for you!
SAIC is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer- DoD Technology Protection & Export Controls Lead to join our team of qualified, diverse, and highly motivated individuals supporting the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense, Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)). The qualified candidate will provide extensive research, technical, and financial assessments, as well as policy recommendations on existing and emerging technologies essential to the United States maintaining superior military capabilities. Work will be performed primarily in Alexandria VA and Arlington VA including at the Pentagon, the Mark Center, and local company offices, supporting DoD, Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)), Department of Commerce (DoC), Department of State (DoS), and other Departments and Agencies. Travel is currently restricted but would be required in the future, less than 10% of the time, and predominantly within the continental United States.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as the team lead for all export control cases and reviews with OUSD(R&E) equities; track review progress, ensure completeness of review, and assist in executing and monitoring outcomes as required; mitigate foreign ownership, control, influence, cyber penetration, and other exploitation threats to the US technology and manufacturing industrial bases; review International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) rules, policies, and procedures and other related export control activities; assist in supporting OUSD(R&E) efforts related to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act (FIRRMA)
- Provide analysis and recommendations about export controls and other related protection methods to the Director, Technology Manufacturing Industrial Base (TMIB) responsible for supporting OUSD(R&E) Principal Directors for DoD Modernization Priorities
- Represent OUSD(R&E) and TMIB in activities related to export control policies, procedures, tools, and support services; serve as primary liaison with OUSD(A&S)/Industrial Policy, Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA), intelligence, counterintelligence and law enforcement organizations, and interagency partners like DoC and DoS
- Facilitate assessments of the confluence of technology concerns, business concerns, foreign involvement, and how that involvement might affect DoD modernization priorities, warfighting capabilities, technology advantage, and associated RDT&E investments, or otherwise compromise national security
- Formulate risk mitigation strategies to address technology and technical stakeholder interests, facilitating involvement of Science and Technology (S&T) and system development communities as appropriate; conduct integration of multiple case management, technology and business awareness, and technology assessment systems as necessary to conduct risk assessments and responses; monitor vulnerability risk mitigation implementation actions
- Maintain awareness of DoD critical technology and manufacturing ecosystem needs, the latest technological developments through technical journals, continuing education and participation in professional engineering societies and other science and technology forums; identify and foster appropriate vulnerability mitigation actions
- Evaluate the results of past and current assessments, and apply strategies to protect and promote the U.S. industrial base, technology development, and investment strategies; develop, implement, and monitor metrics to determine the success of implemented strategies and policies
- Prepare executive-level decision briefs, develop courses of action for short and long range implementation and administration of strategic objectives; chair meetings of standing and ad-hoc groups and committees, as well as lead teams commissioned to resolve problems; arbitrate and determine courses of action in various engineering technical forums to resolve challenges and incompatibilities
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline or related science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) field and fourteen (14) years of expereince; Masters Degree and twelve (12) years of expereince.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building
- Knowledge of DoD acquisition processes, policies, and guidance
- Knowledge of the Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA), Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), OUSD(A&S)/Industrial Policy, Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), intelligence, counterintelligence and law enforcement organizations, interagency partners like DoC and DoS
- Knowledge of relevant USG/DoD policies, procedures, tools, and support services
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Active Secret clearance with ability to obtain Top Secret with SCI eligibility
- Master’s degree in engineering discipline or related science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) field
- Knowledge of Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) organizational structures, functions, and communication protocols
- Knowledge in one or more of the DoD technology modernization areas to include Microelectronics, Directed Energy, Space, Hypersonics, Autonomy, Quantum Cyber, Artificial Intelligence, Biotechnology, Command, Control, & Communications (C3), and other related technologies
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.