Job ID: 211711
Location: REMOTE WORK, RI, United States
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2021
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Mechanical Engr
Schedule: Casual (includes On Call and Temporary)
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Remote Work: No
Benefits: Click here
SAIC is seeking a Flexwork/Remote qualified candidate to serve as a Chief Engineer for the Mk48 Afterbody/Tailcone (AB/TC) program, someone that knows the historical Mk48 development and the in service issues. Prospective candidates must demonstrate in-depth experience with the Mk48 torpedo theory of operation, the Mk48 MOD 5, 6, 7 propulsion system, and the MOD 5, 6, 7 hardware configuration. The candidate must also have the proper knowledge and experience to provide background on the design, the operation of the electrical power system and to support failure analysis approaches, as well as, root cause analysis.
Specific roles and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide direct support to the program manager and corporate staff on technical issues
• Prepare variance documentation as required to address TDP or manufacturing issues
• Maintain dialog with government production and technical authorities to resolve programmatic technical issues through a non-confrontational, collaborative, and transparent working environment at all levels
• Support vendor and sub-contractor variance and or ECP efforts to gain government approval
• Propose studies or technical instruction tasks to improve the operation or ease of manufacture of the Mk48 ABTC.
• Provide familiarization training to engineering and manufacturing team on hardware functions, interfaces, critical features, failure analysis.
• Review and approve technical deliverables to the government for accuracy, clarity, and final acceptance
• Review procurement actions as required to ensure vendors are; qualified, responsive, understand the nuances of the product, and resolve their questions or concerns
• Lead efforts to resolve performance issues encountered in manufacturing, factory acceptance testing. Government acceptance testing, or in-service operations.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and eighteen (18) years or more experience; Masters and sixteen (16) years or more experience; PhD or JD and fifteen years or more experience.
• General experience of twenty (20) or more years preferred
• Highly motivated and have excellent problem solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills to work in a team environment.
• Able to complete tasks in an unsupervised and self-directed fashion.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
• Demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently with changing deadlines and priorities.
PREFERRED: B.S. / M.S. in an Engineering related field preferred
• US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance. ACTIVE Secret is preferred.
• Limited travel to key vendors, government facilities and SAIC production facilities.
• Tele-work is permitted, especially during work restrictions due to COVID-19.
• Work may require periodic visits to SAIC | 28 Jacome Way or NUWCDIVNPT
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.