SAIC is seeking a Systems Engineer in Modular Open Systems Approach to support the Under Secretary of Defense for Research & Engineering customers by providing technical expertise to improve the state of practice for Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA) to pursue cross-cutting issues across the acquisition community and within the systems engineering enterprise.
- Provide technical expertise and support in the specific area of MOSA as a key member of a customer’s review team. In particular, identify MOSA-related issues and risks; perform root cause analysis; and recommend issue recovery plans or risk mitigation plans to the customer.
- Develop DoD Systems Engineering guidance as it relates to program planning and execution for MOSA in programs of record and prototyping efforts.
- Develop criteria for assessing the technical performance of MOSA.
- Support the development of guidance for enabling modular design at system interfaces, ensuring architecture interoperability necessary for program-to-program modularity, and integrating new capabilities across the Joint Force.
- Support development of a validation and verification process to assist in establishing MOSA compliance criteria and drive commonality across the DoD.
- Advise and support the customer’s leadership on the formulation and coordination of DoD MOSA policies, standards, and activities to implement the DoD’s chartered responsibilities for enabling DoD systems engineering.
Work will be performed primarily in Alexandria, VA, and local company offices.This role is temporarily remote/work from home/virtual due to COVID-19. Eventually the work will go back to 100% onsite once the threat of COVID-19 has passed.
Education & Expereience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related STEM field and fourteen (14) years of expereince, Masters and twelve(12) years of expereince.
- 15 years of experience in a technical discipline in Systems Engineering
- 5 years of experience working in the Defense Acquisition Community as a Military Officer/Government Civilian/or Contractor
- Experience in Modular Open Systems Architectures and System of Systems (SoS)
- Experience in implementing data standards to support Commercial-Off-The Shelf (COTS), Government-Off-the-Shelf (GOTS), and Open Source technologies
- Understanding of open standards principles, open systems specifications, interface standards and management, and implementation of open systems
- Demonstrated experience in briefing and coordinating senior-level technical reviews, panels, or similar meetings with diverse participants
- Experience communicating with senior government leaders
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment, communicate effectively (written/verbal), possess strong interpersonal skills, be self-motivated, and be innovative in a fast-paced environment
- Current Secret clearance required, ability to obtain Top Secret
- M.S. in an engineering discipline or related field
- Demonstrated Industry/DoD leadership in the MOSA technical field desired
- Familiarity with the DoDI 5000 series, to include the Defense Acquisition Guide (DAG)
- Knowledge of adjacent technical areas: data rights, interoperability, interface design, open standards, DoDAF, MOSA conformance via V&V
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities in large scale implementation projects
- Demonstrated experience in planning, briefing and coordinating senior-level technical reviews, panels, or similar meetings with diverse participants
- DoD acquisition program manager(PM)/deputy PM experience
- Knowledge of OSD interface and communication protocols
- PMP certification
- Lean Six Sigma green or black belt
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.