Job ID: 211021
Location: FORT BELVOIR, VA, United States
Date Posted: Jan 31, 2021
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Specialty Engr
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: TS/SCI with Poly
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No
Benefits: Click here
Job Description: The Space Systems Engineer plays a key role in helping the government integrate satellites into its operational baseline. This professional will be involved throughout the development lifecycle by analyzing and developing concepts of operations, requirements, participating in design reviews, analyzing test results during verification and validation, coordinating with satellite operators to ensure validity of operational processes and procedures, through vehicle launch and initialization. As a SETA, he/she will often work multiple projects and related tasks with the expectation he/she will address broad, strategic issues (e.g. policies, concept of operations, stakeholder engagement, contract management) as well as tactical concerns (e.g., near-term schedules, testing, readiness reviews). He/she must be a self-starter who takes the initiative to address the government’s tasks, and proactively identifies risks, issues, and opportunities; assesses, develops, and communicates recommendations for solutions or courses of action.
- Oversee satellite integration readiness, working with other contractors and government personnel (often across multiple sites and organizational levels) and provide unbiased analysis with recommendations on courses of actions or approaches to exploit an opportunity.
- Assess integration activities in the context of cross-systems dependencies (technical, resource, and schedule) and present unbiased findings, analysis, and recommendations to the government managers.
- Participate in project or system reviews, milestones, and/or decision gates and represent the government’s interests with other stakeholders.
- Support government requests for systems engineering and integration studies; process analysis and design; project management process assessments, etc. with a focus on process and resource efficiencies. He/she will present their analysis and present recommendations for implementation.
- Support the development or assessment of system Concept of Operations, Requirements Documents, Test Plans, Contract Statements of Work, Systems Engineering Plans, as well as contribute to the “staff work” requirements for the government (e.g. action items, weekly reports, etc.) to include support to government acquisitions and source selections.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience
Clearance to start: TS.SCI with Polygraph
- STEM Degree is required (contractual)
- Real-time operations experience as a spacecraft operator or spacecraft engineer.
- Technical knowledge of spacecraft systems (bus, payload) and subsystems (attitude and control systems, propulsion, life support systems, etc.), ground communications and mission data processing systems, space vehicle mission planning and command and control systems.
- Knowledge of orbital mechanics.
- Space operations/policy.
- Spacecraft and Launch Vehicle engineering.
- Space-borne reconnaissance & surveillance.
- Familiarity with GEOINT systems
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.