SAIC is hiring a Senior Sytems Safety Engineer to support the NASA SMAEC II Program. This role will sit in Houston, TX.
- Will perform engineering assessments and analyses on the International Space Station, Commercial Vehicles (manned and unmanned) payloads and experiments that are flown on International (e.g. Progress or Soyuz) or commercial vehicles (SpaceX, CST-100).
- Assure that software safety design and operations specifications and products meet International Space Station Program (ISSP), Safety & Mission Assurance (S&MA) software safety requirements.
- Assess the ISS software development, test, verification, and change products and identify problems and noncompliances.
- Ensure compliance with Computer Based Controls System Safety Requirements (SSP 50038B), ISS System Specifications (SSP 41000) and ISS Safety Requirements Document (50021) and applicable NASA standards (7150, 8719, 8739).
- Prepare reports, present findings of assessments and evaluations, and provide recommendations to the NASA S&MA Software Team Manager.
- Participate in Safety Panel Reviews
- Participate in ISS on-orbit anomaly assessment process and evaluate safety compliance of proposed on-orbit software modifications.
- Participate in, and represent software S&MA assurance, as appropriate and as required in working groups, panels and boards in order to perform the above described tasks.
- Work with customers - NASA, Space Station contractors, and International Partners.
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience.
- 4 years of additional experience acceepted in leiu of degree.
- 10+ years related experience; Excellent oral and above average written communications skills; Ability to develop excellent working relationships with customers, peers, and management; Ability to utilize Microsoft Office to prepare reports, presentations, and charts
- Familiarity with the NASA organization and with the International Space Station (ISS) subsystems and components
- Basic knowledge and use of personal computer with typical business software (is mandatory i.e., word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics) is mandatory.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are mandatory.
- Must be able to travel (minimal).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- NASA system flight safety review process experience.
- Experience with direct participation in conducting and documenting space system safety review
- An understanding of NASA Handbook 51700 and 50021.
- An understanding of system safety hazards analysis process.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.