SAIC has an immediate need for a Network Operations Center Specialist to support the NASA Integrated Communications Services (NICS) contract at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Space Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. The NICS contract provides high quality integrated communications services for secure voice, video and data solutions and services to NASA customers worldwide. This position supports ensuring that Telemetry and Command data flows for NASA’s spacecraft and aeronautical missions flow smoothly.
- Use a variety of network management and diagnostic tools for monitoring, troubleshooting communications-related and node/application related problems for NASA’s Mission Network known as NASCOM
- Monitoring and some maintenance assistance will be required of Cisco Routers & Switches, Junipers Routers
- Operating NASA unique hardware items is also required
- Candidate will support the network’s operations and day-to-day activities in support of NASA missions
- Working directly with other NASA centers and customers to help resolve real-time network and dataflow problems which are unique to NASA
- Candidate will be involved in a number of activities including the testing and implementation of new network services
- Position is in the NASCOM Operations Management Center (NOMC), a 24X7 network operation center, and requires supporting non-standard shifts, weekends and holidays
- Candidate must be able to pass both a written and practical certification test associated with the operations of the Mission Network within 180 days of hire.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS degree in a related field & 2 years experience or High School & 4 years experience.
- 4 years of additional experience accepted in leiu of degree.
- BS degree in a related field & 10 years experience or High School & 15 years experience.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP technology
- Knowledge of IP Addressing and subnet masking
- Knowledge of Help Desk Operations
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills
- Effective communicator and able to coordinate network and customer issues with other technical sections
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to real-time dataflow issues.
- Ability to work non-standard work hours/shifts
- Pleasant personality
- Knowledge of Network Monitoring tools, eg. HP Openview network monitoring tools (HP Openview, MRTG)
- Knowledge of normal trouble ticket processes
- Hands-on experience with standard industry products eg. Cisco, Juniper, and Ciena
- Experience with network analysis tools (Matt’s Trace Route (MTR) and Multi Routers Traffic Grapher (MRTG) are a plus);
- Knowledge and hands on experience with data analyzers, network probes and other network diagnostic and performance measurement devices
- Experience in performing traceroutes, executing ping test
- Experience in supporting Wide Area Networking connectivity
- Experience in WAN protocols such as SONET and MPLS
- Experience working with Commercial Carrier service providers, eg, AT&T, Verizon
- Knowledgeable of transmission principals including T1, T3, DS-3 &OC-3/48;
- Knowledge of serial interfaces including RS232, V.35 and RS 449 preferred;
- Knowledge of Linux
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Secret Clearance.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.