SAIC is seeking a Lead Technical Writer to support efforts in Huntsville, AL. We are supporting the Software, Simulation, Systems Engineering and Integration Directorate (S3I) in continuation of the Improved Data Modem (IDM) sustainment and development. The IDM is a communication device for the Army rotorcraft digital fleet. It is an Airworthy hardware and software system. The S3I is supporting software sustainment for fielded IDM systems and an update to transition to the Aviation Mission Common Server multi-core processor (MCP) implementation of IDM. The S3I is developing the MCP Operating Environment (OE) and the IDM Software Application (ISA). A Lead Technical Writer is needed to support completion of technical documentation associated with the MCP OE, the ISA and sustainment activities.
Telework/Remote: This will be temporarily allowed during COVID-19 but must be in local area.
Responsible for the preparation, review, revision, and maintenance of policy documents, software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation. Writes and edits technical documentation for all of the project’s hardware and software to include installation, and configuration.
Track feedback from multiple stakeholders. Edit and incorporate as appropriate. Track multiple approvals. Track status and update stakeholders. Creates implementation guides and end-user guides for capabilities; provides field, data definition, and data flow documentation and formats technical publications from pamphlets, technical drawings, and consultations with technical personnel and other available resources. Create, draft, modify, and issue final documents to support office policies, procedures, mission capabilities, security, training, and visual displays.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Lead Technical Writer will be responsible for actively driving and managing of the weekly activities of the technical writing team
- Lead team of 3-5 technical writers to ensure quality
- The Lead Technical Writer will be responsible for building and forming the technical writing team and managing them on a day-to-day basis
- Review and oversee technical writers to ensure documentation meets program requirements and Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL)
- Review and editing of technical documentation to include formatting, document numbers, CDRL numbers, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Adhere to approved style guides and team templates that document training policy and standards
- Write, in clear and concise language, such technical documents as procedure manuals, service manuals, and related technical publications concerned with installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic, electrical, mechanical, and other equipment
- A proven self-starter with an ability to interact effectively with military, industry, and academic partners
- Capable of multi-tasking, working within deadlines, and smoothly transition between various projects
- Possess excellent communication skills as well as, the ability to work with leaders, Programmers, Developers, and Subject Matter Experts
- Capable of providing accurate task completion estimates
- Record meeting minutes and provide to meeting participants
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 7+ years of expereince (equivalent experience accpeted in lieu of degree)
- Expert user with MS Office Suite
- Understand basic concepts (to include basic grammar concepts), responsible for writing technical copy for various types of documents
- Gather technical information, prepares written text
- Maintain a current internal documentation library
- Use multiple word processing and presentation tools such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Visio etc.
- Prepare and maintain operations documentation, user guides and manuals and technical publications
- Work with developers to produce quality documentation and training materials
- Work on all phases of documentation
- Understand basic concepts and write technical copy for various types of documents for a program/project of similar complexity
- Prepare reports, responses, and briefings targeted to a wide range of audiences
- Coordinate layout and design of documents
- Research highly technical subject matter, organizes information from multiples sources, and express technical information in written form that is comprehensible to a wide audience of readers
- Apply concepts for technical writing based on engineering drawings, technical information from engineering documentation, consultations with engineers and subject matter experts, and other available sources
- Produce defense acquisition documentation, user manuals, training manuals, and other documentation utilized by the end-user community of DoD electronic equipment and systems
- Apply technical manual standards to work products
- Experience applying technical solutions to complex problems that require regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Experience handling multiple tasks simultaneously to meet assigned deadlines
- Experience applying writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience in drafting, editing, and finalizing technical documents or material.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Apply technical manual standards to work products and documents.
- Ability to focus and capture discussions on various technical topics.
- Ability to communicate with technical staff for effective and efficient completion of technical documentation
- Less than 10% Travel should be expected
- Ability to work under a deadline
- Strong desire to continually learn and improve
- Knowledge of Dynamic Object Oriented Requirements System (DOORS)
- Experience using SharePoint and document management software
- Experience applying Style Guides and templates
Must possess an active secret clearance
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.