SAIC is looking for a Fiber Optic Engineering Technician to support one of our NAVY contracts in Ridgecrest, CA.
Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains telecommunications equipment.
Monitors, dispatches, reroutes tickets within ticketing system, Monitors and provides reports on system utilization, trunking and port optimization. Provides and keeps current detailed documentation of processes.
Coordinate and schedule fiber optic installation preventive maintenance.
Splice fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon cables.
Construct proper splice including but not limited to; grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing.
Installation of fiber optic cable in new and existing conduit.
Terminate, test, troubleshoot and maintain fiber optic networks.
Must have good attention to detail regarding setting up splice locations, termination points, and general live fiber optic construction.
Fusion splicing both loose tube and ribbon fiber optic cables and how to place a mid-sheath splice.
Test/troubleshoot fiber using OTDR.
Education and Experience:
- AA Degree in related discipline and one year related experience; Or, High School and two (2) years of related experience with relevant certification.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with an Active Secret Security Clearance.
- Fiber optic network cabling installations, splicing, polishing, cleaving, connecting, fusion splicing, testing, terminations (fusion and mechanical), electro-mechanical connectorization, assembling, and documenting.
- Conducting fiber optic testing with Corning, Exfo, and Fluke testers, assist with design/engineering of Internet Service Provider (ISP)/ Operating Server Provider (OSP) projects and fiber optic cabling documentation – OSP Insight.
- Operating test equipment for evaluating fiber optic and copper connected components, sensors and systems, experience working with Corning, Exfo, Fujikura, Sumitomo ABF, and Fluke Networking equipment.
- Cat 6, Coax, and fiber optic cabling.
- Fiber and copper maintenance: emergency restoration, inspection services, troubleshooting, fiber documentation, industry standards, and installation techniques.
- Frequent walking, standing, sitting within the work area.
- Must be able to lift/push/pull/carry up to 75 pounds • Ability to effectively communicate with employees, management, peers, etc.
- Must be able to work in various weather conditions (hot, cold, wet and dry)
- Up to 50% travel required – to a variety of worksites in California and the US (planned in advance).
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.