Senior Systems Engineer Principal
Job ID: 2016702
Location: WASHINGTON, DC, United States
Date Posted: Nov 8, 2020
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is looking for a Systems Engineer. As part of a large Engineering Support Services (ESS) Team, the candidate will provide direct support to the Program Executive Office Integrated Warfare Systems (PEO IWS) Fleet Readiness Major Program Manager in maintaining readiness to improve the current and near term readiness of the AEGIS fleet. This role will sit in Washington D.C.
- Provide direct support to the Program Executive Office Integrated Warfare Systems (PEO IWS) Fleet Readiness Major Program Manager (MPM – PEO IWS 1F) in maintaining readiness to improve the current and near term readiness of the AEGIS fleet.
- Align the efforts of various organizations within and external to PEO IWS to ensure the proper maintenance, training, supplying and upgrades to AEGIS combat systems.
- As part of a large Engineering Support Services (ESS) Team, the candidate will provide systems engineering and acquisition support to ensure that the Integrated Warfare Systems onboard the current and near term AEGIS fleet are ready to support all US Navy missions.
- The individual will directly support, as his primary advisor, the Integrated Combat Systems – Fleet Readiness MPM, on a daily basis within PEO IWS at the Washington Navy Yard.
- Responsibilities will include liaison with the Program Executive Officer IWS and his staff, the OPNAV sponsor staff, Fleet staffs, the Principle Assistant Program Managers (PAPMs), which include the Fleet Readiness PAPM, the Integrated Training PAPM, the Ship Integration PAPM and the Fleet spares PAPM within PEO IWS 1.0.
- The contractor will also liaison with Warfare Centers under the purview of PEO IWS, other directorates within PEO IWS, other SYSCOMS and other relevant NAVSEA organizations within Team Ships (e.g., SEA 21).
- Work will focus on maintenance, certification and upgrades to the AEGIS system and will extend to all areas needed to support its proper operation across the DOTMLPF spectrum, particularly maintainability, training, cybersecurity, mission effectiveness and documentation.
- The contractor will help lead working groups and review boards to correct short notice problems effecting the roughly 100 AEGIS cruisers and destroyers at sea, in port and in shipyard availabilities.
- Lead a team of approximately eight SAIC support contractors.
- The individual will, with the support of the ESS and government staffs, develop and assist the MPM in developing and presenting briefs and papers and in supervising the drafting of correspondence.
- Occasionally, this senior contractor will be called upon to directly support PEO IWS 1.0, the AEGIS Development MPM, who works closely with the IWS 1F.
- The candidate will work at SAIC offices near the WNY and will be expected to visit the customer site frequently.
- Conduct liaison as described above
- Draft key senior level correspondence
- Evaluate tools, requirements, test procedures, processes, proposals and documentation
- Keep abreast of fleet activities, technology developments, modernization activities, deployments, and fleet problems
- Serve as PEO IWS F and PEO IWS FS principal strategic advisor
- Coordinate activities, such as budget development within the Task Planning Sheet (TPS) process, among the four IWS 1FS PAPM branches
- Develop detailed strategic plans for maintenance and upgrades
- Work with other commands to ensure all areas across the DOTMLPF spectrum support fleet readiness
- Support AEGIS Wholeness initiatives as needed
- Draft key briefs and papers
- Liaison with IWS 1F Program Manager Representatives and their SAIC contract support in Yokosuka, Rota, Mayport, Norfolk, San Diego, Pearl Harbor and Everett.
- Interface with other systems engineering disciplines within the AEGIS community to ensure proper alignment of activities and requirements
- Represent PEO IWS F and FS at meetings
- Make presentations to various levels of Navy and DoD leadership to support the mission
- Review class Advisories
- Review and edit all written products that require MPM signature, mentor the contract support team to maintain standards in terms of punctuation, syntax, grammar and format
- Draft white papers
- Review Warfare System Certification Briefs and Messages
- Contribute to the strategic 30-Year Surface CS Plan
- Supervise Post-Deployment CSG briefs
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors and fourteen (14) years or more experience; Masters and twelve (12) years or more experience; PhD or JD and nine (9) years or more experience.
- 4 years of additional experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- Knowledge of AEGIS baselines onboard DDG 51 and CG 47 classes.
- Fleet operational Combat Systems experience, preferably along the lines of a Tactical Action Officer, Combat Systems Officer, Systems Test Officer, Executive Officer or Combat Systems Maintenance Manager.
- Anti-Air Warfare Self Defense / Area Defense; experience as a Force Air Defense Commander within a Carrier Strike Group.
- Experience is critical for understanding the day-to-day fleet issues relating to readiness.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with an Active Secret Clearance.
- AEGIS program office experience; working with modern combatant program office experience suffices.
- Previous experience in Flag support and routine interaction with PEO IWS Major Program Managers and PEO IWS front office experience is key.
- Background working with Naval Surface Warfare Centers Dahlgren Division, Port Hueneme Division, Corona Division, and the Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory desired.
- Self-starting senior professional with an exceptional work ethic. Team player capable of executing independent work who pays attention to the most minor of details.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with high-level Military, Government, and Contractor personnel.
- Knowledge of computer software development processes, procedures and standards and computer network technology is a plus.
- Must be able to generate documents in MS Word and MS PowerPoint at a high level.
- Shipyard experience or experience working with USN CS prime contract Large Scale Integrators (LSI) is a plus.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.