SAIC is seeking qualified candidates to support the US Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation (AFAMS) program.
AFAMS is the premier agency responsible for implementation, integration, and development of Modeling and Simulation (M&S) and training and analysis standards that support the US Air Force (USAF), Department of Defense (DoD), and mission partners requiring these capabilities to support the Warfighter in full-spectrum operations. As the lead agent for M&S within the USAF, AFAMS gathers requirements, seeks out potential solutions, and integrates legacy and emerging M&S solutions across the USAF and the DoD. The USAF has an M&S initiative that focuses on providing simulation and synthetic training as the critical capability to augment live training, act as an enabler for critical decision-making, and enhance human performance. In the current resource constrained environment, demand for M&S rises with the continuously evolving need for operational readiness and mission preparedness across the USAF, DoD, and with coalition partners. AFAMS focuses on providing innovative M&S services as the key to meeting this demand.
The role of this position is to support the Warrior Preparation Center (WPC) in Einsiedlerhof AS, Germany. The Systems Engineer will:
- The Contractor shall possess and maintain current Microsoft server administration certification.
- Support all permanent party and exercise core services or comparable technology with both Windows and Linux software platforms in accordance with WPC projects, exercise plans and designs.
- The Contractor shall create standard operating procedures, maintenance checklists, monitor all performance and functionality of classified and unclassified networks, and provide accurate elevation drawings.
- Windows Server Operations:
- The Contractor shall support Microsoft-based operating systems, Open Virtual Memory System server, and LAN technologies, as well as the integration of specialized applications for permanent party, local exercise, and remote exercise use.
- Engineer, implement and maintain Active Directory (AD) domain infrastructure utilizing Cisco IOS, Microsoft Windows, UNIX, and Linux client/server operating systems.
- Obtain and interpret command and control (C2) Government off-the-shelf (GOTS) and Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) documentation regarding AD implementation strategy.
- Implement and maintain an organizational unit structure independent from COTS default containers.
- Establish and maintain Windows-based authoritative “time” server hierarchy.
- Coordinate and implement AD configuration changes with WPC/SC and provide technical input for security accreditation efforts, as needed.
- Provide guidance on AD user, computer, and group creation, including naming conventions and long-term disposition.
- Conduct preventative maintenance inspections to ensure reliable functionality and availability of domain services.
- Provide Network Basic Input/output System and Fully Qualified Domain Name IP address and host name resolution capabilities.
- Manage IP space of static/dynamically assigned addresses utilizing approved enterprise level tools.
- Employ DoD, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), and USAF guidance, instructions and tools to maintain and operate a robust Public Key Encryption/Public Key Infrastructure (PKE/PKI) environment that supports two-party authentication for WPC enclaves. Implement and oversee an aggressive “Principle of Least Privilege” strategy in accordance with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and USAF guidelines.
- Develop scripts to assist in effective AD management.
- Develop and maintain AD Group Policy Objectives to ensure consistent application of security policy, improve administration, and support “Principle of Least Privilege” strategies.
- Provide technical support to WPC regarding AD account use violations and other security-related abuses and/or anomalies.
- Document AD-related issues and baseline changes.
- Provide and administer virtual machines (VM) using appropriate hypervisor, including but not limited to: VMware, vSphere, and Windows Server 2008/2012 Hyper-V.
- Obtain and install all applicable software updates, security patches and compliance orders while minimizing impact to the WPC training environment.
- Provide New Technology File System shared folder resources, implementation, and maintenance.
- Provide system administration support across multiple enclaves.
- Oversee the confidentiality, integrity and high availability of shared folder resources in accordance with USAF policy, and advise SC when storage requirements change.
- Create and manage centralized print management functionality to ensure redundancy and availability of clustered services. Install and monitor system management utilities to identify abnormalities and performance issues, including but not limited to Solar Winds.
- Ensure an encryptor management capability for network management personnel to remotely manage all deployed Tactical Local Area Network Encryptors (TACLANEs) at WPC.
- Host Based Security System (HBSS):
- Manage DoD mandated antivirus programs, including but not limited to McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator.
- Organize mandatory software updates and security patches for deployment using enterprise level utilities, DoD and/or WPC approved software. Maintain domain-wide, Windows-based software inventory.
- Develop queries used to support report of survey inquiries. Advise SC on the usage and viability of required software licenses.
- Advise SC of at-risk critical systems, including single points of failure that could negatively affect continuous operations.
- Advise SC on appropriate levels of spare hardware resources and resulting mission impact if levels are not maintained.
- Implement multiple Redundant Array of Independent Disk configurations to ensure high availability of server-based WPC resources.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly backups of critical servers, system data and shared folders.
- Centrally manage and protect crucial resources through enterprise level backup and restoration of hardware and software systems.
- Monitor and maintain tape backup system for optimum performance.
- Firewall and Intrusion Detection Systems, configure and implement approved rules to support events and exercises.
- Monitor and troubleshoot applicable firewall rules to facilitate successful event execution.
- Coordinate with event planners, network management personnel, and end users to ensure firewall rules are functioning properly.
- Install and update system configurations based on applicable DoD, DISA (including Security Technical Implementation Guide [STIG]), and USAF security guidelines.
- UNIX/Linux Server Operations:
- The Contractor shall provide support for the UNIX/Linux function.
- The Contractor shall be responsible for Red Hat Linux and Sun Microsystems Solaris.
- The Contractor shall have a thorough understanding of Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)/Internet Protocol (IP) networks and unicast, broadcast and multicast network traffic.
- Simulation Support:
- The Contractor employees responsible for server management shall learn sufficient information to assist with integrating the models and simulations, including Aggregate Level Simulation Protocol, DIS, and HLA.
- The Contractor shall accomplish the following to maintain the WPC’s Simulation Support Common Environment and its individual workstation components including, but not limited to:
- Design and implement a common computing environment that will support research and development for current and future simulation models.
- Ensure the environment meets all DoD security and data protection standards.
- Engineer interfaces for tactical communications systems to simulate WPC simulations environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
The following skills are required or desired as stated:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Server Infrastructure , 10 years’ experience (both waiverable by the WPC/SC)
- DoD 8570.1 IAT Level II Certification required.
- Desired Familiarity with the following: Microsoft Windows environment, UNIX, and Linux.
- Experience with Hyper convergence technology, VMWare, VDI zero client architecture.
- Familiar with layer 2 and layer 3 networking devices (switches/routers), software engineering principles and programming.
- Bachelors and ten (10) years or more of related experience; Masters and eight (8) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and two (2) years or more experience. In lieu of a degree an additional 4 years of experience is required.
A Secret (fully adjudicated and eligible for NATO) security clearance is required for this position.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com or Working at SAIC for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.