SAIC is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Principal Engineer for the Los Angeles Air Force Base in El Segundo, CA to lead the Avionics Panel supporting support the Independent Readiness Review Team (IRRT). The IRRT ensures the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) space vehicles, launch vehicles, and ground control systems were built properly to perform reliably over the systems mission life.
The IRRT’s mission is to deliver technically superior risk assessments and smart risk mitigation options to assure SMC space systems’ mission success in support of the joint warfighter and the nation. The SMC Engineering Directorate (SMC/EN) maintains the IRRT to provide an independent assessment of program risks and risk mitigation options to SMC leadership for designated SMC launch vehicles, space vehicles, and ground control systems. The IRRT acts independently from the programs under its review, and the SMC/CC is the final authority for directing and authorizing reviews by the IRRT.
- Lead the Avionics Panel by providing technical assistance in the area of launch vehicle systems.
- Technical evaluation and risk assessments of electrical units in the following subsystems: Attitude Control Subsystem, Telemetry, Tracking and Command Subsystem, Thermal Control Subsystem and Payload.
- Technical evaluation and risk assessments of guidance and navigation hardware, thrust vector control, attitude control, telemetry, tracking, command, communications, and sensors.
- Evaluation of the design, development, analysis and testing of radio frequency and digital and analog electronic circuits, units and systems, and aspects of hardware in other technical areas (Parts, Materials and Processes)
- Evaluate risk in the area of test and evaluation, to include system test procedures, test results, system and subsystem environmental tests, configuration management, ground support equipment (GSE), system checkout procedures, launch operations, orbital operations, software, system interfaces, post flight analysis, test range instrumentation support and planning, ground and flight safety, and security.
- Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS) support, including subject matter expertise (SME), in support of IRRT mission areas as directed in SMC-G-1201, SMC-G-1202, SMC-G-1203, and SMC-G-1204.
- Ensures that SMC launch vehicles, and ground systems were built properly to perform reliably over the system’s mission life.
- Engage Support IPTs in developing draft charts in support of Readiness Reviews described in those guides.
- Perform peer reviews as a member of the technical panel on control segments, and launch vehicles developed by SMC s prime contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Master’s Degree is required and limited to Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, or a Physical Science.
- Minimum 12+ years of hands-on circuit analysis, design, build, code, or test experience in one or more of the following areas: Control System, Power Distribution System, Telemetry System, Computing System, and Navigation System.
- A current DoD Secret Clearance
- Experience in performing risk analysis and mitigation on Space Vehicles or Launch Vehicle electrical systems and its subsystem components using DoD approved risk analysis process.
- Extremely motivated individual who is a self-starter and a team player.
- Demonstrated experience in executing tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience with team leadership, and program/project management.
- Demonstrated experience working with Air Force and DoD contractors in a development environment
- Experience writing and delivering technical documents and briefings
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills as well as organizational skill
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to enable working, interfacing, and interrelating with diverse personnel and dynamic teams
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions.
We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability