SAIC is looking to hire an Atmospheric Scientist to join our team supporting the Air Force weather community and the TADS contract in Omaha, NE.
- Responsible for applying knowledge of atmosphere processes in order to analyze and predict weather elements.
- Works on an integrated team with NWP scientists, data scientists, and software engineers to develop new methods for analyzing and forecasting operational weather, to include the global cloud field.
- Applies weather knowledge to help with algorithm development and refinement of new analysis and forecasting tools and techniques.
- Verifies and validates new techniques.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on operational weather forecasting and analysis for Air Force weather operations.
- Apply weather analysis and forecasting knowledge to help develop, verify, and refine numerical weather prediction techniques for Air Force weather operations.
- Verify output from numerical weather prediction tools against observational data, including surface observations, sounding data, and satellite observations.
- Analyze satellite data from various sources to understand global weather patterns, particularly the global cloud field
- Perform applied research on exploitation of numerical model output and observational data to improve NWP tools.
- Develop reports and forecasts from the analysis of weather and climate data, as needed, to support numerical model development.
- Use computer models that analyze data about the atmosphere.
- Create weather maps and graphics, as needed.
- Leverage weather balloons, radar systems, satellites, and sensors to monitor the weather and collect data, as required.
- Analyze historical weather and climate information such as cloud data, precipitation, and temperature records, to identify trends and patterns that may be exploited for NWP applications
- Understand and predict global and regional weather patterns.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
B.S. in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science with 5 years operational weather forecasting experience, or equivalent knowledge
- Knowledge of NWP systems such as GFS, WRF, MM5, and/or the UK Met Office Model
- Air Force weather forecasting experience
- Experience validating/verifying numerical weather prediction models and/or algorithms
- Experience with satellite meteorology and cloud forecasting
- Familiarity with weather data formats including, but not limited to, METAR, GriB, Grib2, NetCDF, and satellite data formats
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be able to obtain Secret Clearance
Secret Clearance preferred
- Experience developing and/or improving operational NWP systems
- Experience developing weather software systems using Python and/or FORTRAN
- Experience with Air Force CDFS-II cloud modeling and analysis systems
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability