SAIC is seeking a Spacecraft Vehicle Systems Engineer Sr. Principal to support our customer in Houston, TX. This position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to support NASA’s present and future human spaceflight programs under the Safety and Mission Assurance Engineering Contract (SMAEC II) at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.. You will assist with the design, development, test and evaluation of spacecraft systems and mission planning for NASA’s lunar Human Landing System (HLS) Program. You will be responsible for ensuring spacecraft systems comply with all applicable Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) requirements. Some travel to vendors, prime contractor sites, and/or vehicle processing centers may be required. Specific tasks include:
Assist with the development and effective implementation of Safety, Reliability and Quality Assurance (SR&QA) requirements, processes and procedures
Evaluation of spacecraft design and operations for compliance to NASA SR&QA requirements and system certification limits / constraints
Evaluation of changes to requirements, materials, processes and procedures for potential impacts to flight safety and mission success
Evaluation of prime contractor processes and products including hazard analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), design verification analysis, reliability and maintainability analysis, limited life item time/cycle tracking reports, hardware qualification and acceptance test reports
Perform qualitative and quantitative risk assessments and trade studies
Identify, characterize and provide recommendations regarding mitigation of safety and mission assurance risks to senior management
Participation in failure analysis and problem resolution
Required Education and Experience:
- 15+ years of related experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other science related degree, or a Masters in a related discipline and 12 years’ experience, or a PhD and 9.
- 4 years of experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- Experience in cryogenic systems highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills.
- High degree of technical excellence, integrity, and self-initiative.
- Ability to evaluate technical merits of spacecraft designs and identify alternative solutions to complex technical problems to mitigate mission risk.
- Ability to work effectively across multiple organizations / stakeholders and within a teaming environment to get results.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Power Point, Excel).
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions.
We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability